Headlight aim - Pre FL non-xenon

ethel

Hello all,

Just returned the headlight beam setting from the temporary flat(ish) setting after a night or two in France to UK dip-to-the-left spec & can't help but notice that the illumination on the LH/kerb side is a lot higher than I remember.

Both 'flick-ups' for left & right headlights appear to be level, & the lights both move up & down according to the in-cabin adjuster.

So far as I can tell the little gates inside the lamp units which you use to flatten the beam for Continental driving are back where they are meant to be (ie out of the way of the metal cutout pattern) so I can only assume that the lighting pattern has always been like this. 

I know that you get greater ilumination on the kerbside to show the road's edge, traffic signs etc but my lights really do seem to light up an awful lot more of roadside walls, verges etc than other cars on the road - in particular my wife's Peugeot 307 which also uses projector lamps (although to be fair, these are pretty cr*p).

Anyway, have I done something daft when resetting the headlights to UK spec or are all Octavia headlights like this..? :dull:

Thanks in advance,

Dave.

My 06 Octavia has always had a very noticeable left illumination on dipped headlights.

So much so that the left footpath/roadside and signs are clearly lit and I would guess that traffic in front would be getting a bit of dazzle from time to time as the beam cutoff seems high but I've never been flashed at and the car has just passed its MOT so the beam must be within limits.