Facelift xenon headlights question?

bilun777

Do the new FL xenons have a second lamp for the high beam, or a shutter on the xenon bulb as previously used?

I'll be wanting to swap them for the new nightbreaker unlimiteds if that is the case.

Both!

The bi-xenons use a shutter system on the projector light, there is also an additional halogen light for main beam (primarily for flashing your lights when the xenons are off)

• Like 1

Just to brighten up the thread with what's happening at the front end of a FL Bi-Xenon Yeti:

DRL only:

psyy.jpg

Lights off, flash:

fzt1.jpg

Side lights (DRLs dim)

z17b.jpg

Main beam, dipped:

bhqd.jpg

Main beam, high:

go9i.jpg

As Gizmo said (and has corrected me previously  :blush: ), Bi-Xenons still have a shutter between dipped and high beam but don't come on during 'lights off flash' mode as they did on pre-FL. 

I am astounded as to the amount of light coming off the FL lights when on high beam (and that's after two pre-FL Bi-Xenon equipped Yetis and personally can see no reason to upgrade the non-Xenon high beam bulbs.  :rock:  

• Like 3

and personally can see no reason to upgrade the non-Xenon high beam bulbs.  :rock:  

For me it will be purely to try and get the colour of all the forward facing bulbs as close as possible to the xenons (4,300K)

As std are the DRL’s coded so one side dims (or goes off) when the indicators are put on? 

For me it will be purely to try and get the colour of all the forward facing bulbs as close as possible to the xenons (4,300K)

As std are the DRL’s coded so one side dims (or goes off) when the indicators are put on? 

I did check this and I'm sure they don't dim - but I'll look again tomorrow to be sure (I live in fear of further correction...! :happy: ).

[i thought they would given that Audis do with similar looking DRLs]

I dare say they can be coded to dim, but it may be several weeks before I know for certain (i only ordered it today, but I will have another FL L&K to code a couple of weeks before ours arrives)

Is it just the photo or is main beam brighter in lights off / flash mode compared with main beam on mode?

Trick of the light - trying to get pictures of retina burning lights isn't easy and I had to move about a bit or it would have been a case of white-out for some of the photos!

To confirm, the LED DRLs do not dim when the indicators are on.

As per the pics descriptions, Xenons (HIDs if you prefer) are the main beam (dipped and high beam). On high beam, in addition, the inner 'halogen' bulbs illuminate.

Only the 'halogens' come on when 'flashing' with the headlights 'off'. No reason to be confused.... 

• Like 1

Just noticed coming home / leaving function uses the xenon lights not the halogen lights.

Yes they always use the dipped beam.

If it concerns you then get someone with VCDS to change the coding so it uses the fog lights instead.