Suspension Replacement up front, Standard or otherwise

If i was to replace Shocks and Springs up front what would cost be and is there anywhere online that does them or is it dealer only jobbie?

I would like to compare with the prices of lowering kits but im thinking i would prefer to keep it standard really but just want to weigh up the options

Now these cars are getting on in years this question is asked a lot now. As the original suspension starts showing its age. I've messed about with springs myself the last few months and I can honestly say don't use lowering springs if your keeping the standard shocks. They can't cope with the rebound the stronger springs give. The standard shocks are best suited for the standard springs unless you can live with an extremely bouncy car! Unfortunately options for aftermarket springs are limited.

H&R are highly recommended but these will be best used with better shocks. Koni's seem to work well with these going from recommendations. A lot of lowering springs seem to drop the rear way more than the front which doesn't look good or improve handling. The H&R springs are fine. The only other choice you have is buying coilovers but tbh if comfort is a top priority you'll need to spend a fair bit to get top quality kit. I just bought OEM shocks from TPS late last year and they were reasonably priced. I'll find the reciept if your going down that route.

• 2 weeks later...

Unless your tracking the car or driving like you've stolen it everyday then the difference between lowering springs and coilovers on public roads is minimal.  If you just want to lower the car visually and give it a slight improvement to handling just go for lowering springs otherwise your looking for big money for a set of decent coilovers.  A guy on here has fitted MK4 Golf 40mm lowering springs and reported good things from the mod.

Edited by sammyhale30