2001 Fabia 1.9 SDI thermostat, where is it?

Hi all,

New person here, I've recently bought a 2001 Skoda Fabia 1.9 SDI, during normal driving the temp hovers around the first marker (quarter on the gague), sometimes gets to half way under load, but returns to a quarter, which to me seems like the thermostat is part open, as I'd expect it to stay at half way once reaching that point.

With this in mine I already purchased a new thermostat from euro parts, but cannot figure out where its suppose to go, I searched for guides/pictures for the SDi engine, can't find any, loads for the 1.4 petrol and the 1.9TDi, but nothing for the SDi.

I took a pipe off from the right side of the engine, which has the temp sensor in, looked a likely candidate to me, but nope, no thermostat there, just lost a lot of coolant :(

Can anyone tell me where I can find the thermostat on the SDi engine please?

I apologise if I'm covering old ground here, I have serached these forums but come up empty handed.

I'm glad someone else asked this question! I'm about to change the temp sensor on the other side, Hopefully I won't need to change the thermostat for a while :)