Fabia 1.2 SE - gearbox rattle when cold, goes when clutch pressed

Hello,

We have just bought a 19k mile 2010 Fabia SE 1.2 manual (from a Skoda dealer) and have noticed a possible problem (?) and I wondered if anyone could give some advice on what we should do? When cold (i.e. left overnight), there is a clear rattling noise from the geabox which goes when you press the clutch in. Once you drive a short while, the problem goes away. When we were test driving the Fabia, I did notice this symptom on a couple of cars we looked at and so I was wondering if this is "normal" or whether I should ask our local dealer to have a look.

I have searched the forum and some people have said this may be cured by a gearbox oil change? Is this likely on such a new-ish car?

Thank you

ianch99, this rattle is normally the clutch thrust bearing, and not the gearbox. However, the gearbox cannot be ruled out, but if it was the gearbox, it's likely the noise would not go away and you would have other noise whilst driving. This might be in the form of a gearbox whine noise on the move. So in my experience it is more likely to be the clutch thrust bearing (or release bearing as some call it). If you have a noisey clutch thrust bearing this is not of major concern unless it is very very noisey. Many cars have a rattley clutch thrust. This often reduces a bit as the engine warms, but on some cars can actually get worse. The best way forward is to notify your dealer and let them check the noise. It's probably nothing to be concerned about, unless as I say, it's very very noisey.

Mine has always been doing that exact same thing. Although I've had it from brand new, I can't remember when it started doing it, or indeed if it has been doing it all along. I guess I never paid too much attention because other cars I've had in the past have done the same thing. Never been a problem in any case though.

Well, my Fabia is now four and a half years old and has done 54,000 miles. The gearbox is still as slick as it was when new and a joy to use.

I wouldn't worry about it, as long as it goes completely silent once it has warmed up.

And don't forget, sound-proofing in the Fabia leaves a lot to be desired, which is probably why that particular rattle is so apparent.

As does my HTP, sort of a rhythmic tapping/slapping in neutral, more pronounced when the engine is cold. Mine is on 40k, it has done it since I got in on 20k and is no louder, for me its just another characteristic of the car to embrace, I often make a little tune with the sound when sat at lights in the morning queue!