Smoking Vrs

I was following a 62 plate Vrs estate near Bromyard on Friday, OK to be more precise, briefly followed a Vrs as it was going faster than I wanted to in my Superb. I noticed that on every gearchange a puff of smoke came out of the exhaust and after a while I could smell the distinctive aroma of burning oil. Is this a common problem with these vehicles?

Edit:

I should have said that it looked very planted on the road and was not being stupid, just the road is narrow and I am not familiar with it.

Edited by Bristolf2b

It has to use a litre of oil every 1k somehow!  Mostly out the exhaust by the look of it.  The TSI (super and turbo) engines have been notorious for oil usage since launch in the Golf back in 2006.  My dads 57 golf doesn't use too much but the Fabia is a little heavy at the moment but it has only done 5000 miles.

• Like 1

As posted above,  they run rich when cold. and then with a bit of a boot blow the soot out.

It is not the sign of a High Oil user.

I doubt it was on every gear change, as in up the gears,

only where it was getting the throttle pushed and it was dropping a gear, or 2 or 3,

and on Super & Turbo and were spinning.

My tail pipes are always black. but no oil gets used.

I have never smelt oil even following the worst of oil burners. Some real horror ones.

I have smelt unburnt fuel though.

• Like 1

It was white smoke and yes I could smell oil not petrol, but I suppose it could have been from another source-tractor in field ( although that would be quite a coincidence). I was wondering about oil usage as my partner used to have a Polo 1.4 16v engine that got to using a litre every 500 miles at about 20 months old with 17000 on the clock so eventually VW agreed to change the motor under warranty.

Edit:

We never were told what was wrong with the motor, but as it was way down on power by the time it was changed I would guess piston/ring/bore damage

Edited by Bristolf2b

You would hope white smoke was actually just condensation and a cold engine, 

black smoke is common, never seen white on a Twincharger.

Maybe it was a gubbed one.

Skoda, VW, Seat & Audi have replaced plenty of 1.4 TSI Twinchargers 2009-2012 engines,

Quite a few of the 1,800 vRS in those years.

But a Senior Person at Skoda UK is saying its being blown out of proportion on the Internet.

(Rather than him blowing out his rear end.)

http://briskoda.net/forums/topic/294051-cave-cthe-just-reply-please-if-you-had-an-engine-replaced

The smell of Momentum 99 filling my garage is second to none.

Haha, I've just had that reversing my cold fabia into the garage. You can't beat that smell!

• Like 1