Sudden clutch failure

Earlier today the car was running fine, however after a few hours on the drive it seems that the clutch has stopped functioning.

I start the engine with the car in neutral and all is fine, but when I depress the clutch it doesn't seem to be functioning: when I try to put it in a forward gear the synchromesh prevents it from going in, and when I try to put it in reverse it makes that grinding noise, as would happen if I hadn't depressed the clutch at all.

I'm awaiting the RAC coming to diagnose the problem..

Has anyone else had this occur? what was the cause?

Cheers!

Perhaps just as simple as a seal gone on the hydraulic clutch master/slave cylinder.

Although I would have expected seal degradation to be a gradual process and one that you'd notice becoming worse over time.

Good luck, let us know how you get on.

Resolved! (I think)

RAC chap tried starting it in gear with the clutch depressed - this seemed to fix it.

His theory is that some of the clutch components had become bound together, following driving through some deep-ish water without driving for that long afterwards before parking up (which I had done).  Some water got into the clutch and caused some binding together as it sat.  Starting in gear with the clutch down did the job of unbinding this.

Apparently he'd seen similar in an Audi TT, so not sure whether it's something VAG cars are more prone to.. could even have been the same engine (1.8TSI) if it was the base spec TT.

So cheers to the RAC! helpful as ever.

It's always a good idea to press the clutch down when you start.  It saves extra loading on the starter mechanism, and means it won't jump forward if the car is accidently left in gear. 

True, although in this case it would not have made a difference in resolving the problem with the car left in neutral, only when it was in gear.