Is the stereo alive?

I left my sidelights of my Octavia on for two days (while not using the car) which made the battery flat. I charged the battery (I'm sure I did it the right way....) and put it back into the car which made the ABS pump whine...turns out that the battery was charged backwards. I paid 70 quid for the battery and 20 quid for the guy to walk 10 min. to have a look at it. Then, I put the new battery in and was going to go for a drive and saw that my new Alpine 9812RB isn't working and also the battery light was on... I just left the car with the same guy who looked at it before and he says maybe alternator has blown because of the previous wrongly charged Battery and so maybe Also the stereo is gone. HELP!!! I don't mind paying for the alternator but I just hope the stereo is all right. It cost fortune to fit it in as well.

It's very likely that the HU is blown!

Maybe it's not a big issue (perhaps just a rectifying diode). It would be best if you can connect your HU to another car (or another battery) to see if it works.

Then again, maybe it's just a blown fuse :) Did you check the fuses?