Hello folks,

I've had my felicia for almost 12 years now and have over 200,000 miles on the clock. Last week we changed the coolant and flushed the cooling system with a proprietary flushing fluid. Lots of gunge came out. Since then I'm noticing a metallic rattle from the pulley end of the engine when she's idling. It's not constant, i.e. it isn't in time with the engine rotation, but it's always there. It sounds like something being randomly whipped around inside.

There are no starting or performance issues, just this worrying light metallic rattle at idling speed. It's not the gear linkage as I can silence that with light pressure on the gearstick.

Any ideas?

It is the original pump. In fact the only things not original on the engine are service items (belts, filters) and glow plugs - and I fitted a new thermostat while the system was drained.

How can I tell if the coolant flow is amiss?

200,000 miles with same coolant pump??

call guiness book of all records.

meanwhile try to locate better the noise using a long screwdriver as a cheap stethoscope.

or post a video of the engine running and we'll help.

Thanks Dohnjoe. I'll have a go with the screwdriver stethoscope. Failing that I'll get my son to record it on his mobile 'phone and post the recording.

The mechanic said it was the gear linkage, but I know the noise that makes and where it comes from. The geear linkage has been rattling for the past 150,000 miles. This is a new noise and comes from the polybelt end of the engine, suggesting it's one of the pumps, the tensioner or the alternator. Hopefully it's not related to the timing belt!

I did the screwdriver-stethoscope diagnosis. Everything (water pump, PAS pump, alternator) sounded ok until I tested the polybelt tensioner pulley. It sounded like a bag of spanners and I got a real graunch associated with the rattle I described earlier. Sounds like the bearing inside the pulley is slowly self-destructing.

So I've ordered a new pulley (nobody round here keeps parts in stock anymore) and should have it tomorrow.