Slightly jerky (manual petrol VRS)?

I currently drive a Mk2 VRS Tdi but am not loving the way diesels drive so considering a change to a Mk3 petrol VRS.

Had a test drive in a (demo) DSG version this morning which confirmed I want to change back to petrol, but I would prefer to choose my own gears (and pay less for the privilege). So I then drove a manual version (1 year old, 10k miles) in the afternoon from another dealer.

It was only a slight sensation but it felt like at low speeds, with only very slight pressure on the accelerator, there was a subtle jerkiness to the way the manual version drove every now and then - a hesitation or slight stutter in power. I wasn't in too low a gear - about 2k rpm showing.

It was only a small thing, but enough for me to notice on several occasions during the drive. And it was enough to make me walk away from doing a deal on the spot. The salesman didn't recognise the issue and said this one drove like the others he'd driven. Unfortunately he didn't have another with which to compare it.

My only other thought is that coming from a sluggish diesel I've forgotten how a more revvy petrol drives. But I was driving as smoothly as I could. I will have a go in another manual but wondered whether anyone has any (helpful) comments/ suggestions?

That's *exactly* the scenario.

Explains why the car felt fine around town and on the motorway but was noticable when "wafting" along county roads at 30/40 mph.

Appreciate the reply - thanks :)