Fabia 1.6 TDI CR 105: Revs + Clutch in = Burbling sound?

After 7 years I finally traded in my 2003 Fabia 1.9 TDI (124,000m) for a 61 plate Fabia 1.6 TDI CR 105 (39,000m) at a Skoda main dealer. The test drive went fine and I liked the car.

While going over the steep hills to work during the first week, I noticed a 'burbling' sound somewhere behind the right side of the dash when I engage the clutch to change gear. It also happened on the flat when driving 'briskly' (as opposed to 'tootling' -like on a rainy test drive with the salesman in the back!), but again, only while the clutch was down.

It's a strange sound very like a burbling pigeon 'coo', or a rapidly pulsing deep bell sound. It isn't harsh, -softer than knocking or clattering. But it just doesn't sound right.

Not that I normally do this, but if I drive steadily on a slight incline, keep the throttle on just a bit and dip the clutch, there's the burble. If I then come fully off the throttle, the sound dies away with the revs. I don't think there's any problem with the clutch itself; no slippage or jerks. There's no vibration through the pedals. The engine starts easily, and idles and drives smoothly.

With possible DMF problems in mind, I took the car back and a mechanic came out for a drive with me. He had trouble hearing it from the passenger side, but seemed pretty sure it's an engine characteristic rather than a mechanical problem. He said it will happen while the revs drop off or until the engine is pulling again. When I asked what could be actually making the sound, he said the engine itself, but then mentioned the DMF. When I ask if that could be worn/failing, he says that if there was a problem with the DMF the sound would be harsher and more obvious.

If I stop driving the way I drove the old 1.9, and consciously wait for the revs drop before the clutch goes in, I can stop the burble, but not on steep hills where you have to keep some revs on or you'd slow down too much for the next gear.

Has anyone else noticed this 'characteristic'?

Or could someone with a similar TDI try to reproduce it to reassure me that it's just my rubbish driving, and not a problem with the car?

Thanks.

Could it be the EGR valve? I think on these cars it has an integrated oil cooler. Apparently it's at the back of the engine next to the bulkhead. On my wife's Audi A2 1.4 TDI, the EGR valve made a 'moo' sound when the clutch was depressed. The valve was replaced (sits on rubber mounts), but it's a characteristic of the car.

Thanks both for the suggestions.

spartacus68:  Could it be the EGR valve? I think on these cars it has an integrated oil cooler. Apparently it's at the back of the engine next to the bulkhead. On my wife's Audi A2 1.4 TDI, the EGR valve made a 'moo' sound when the clutch was depressed. The valve was replaced (sits on rubber mounts), but it's a characteristic of the car.

Hadn't considered the EGR, but the 'moo' sounds similar. When the valve was replaced on the Audi did it still make the same noise?

Hmm... it's still happening with uphill gear changes. When it's loud it sounds like rapid rubbery knocking, and sometimes I do feel a slight vibration through the clutch pedal in time with the pulsing.

I'm going to book the car in to a different main dealer to try to get it sorted.

Anyone else got any ideas?

I too considered buying a 1.6cr engined Fabia last year having enjoyed running a Fabia 1.9 TDI for some years previously.  The test drive on a quiet Sunday morning went well so I purchased the car and collected it the following week.  On driving home, as soon as I encountered traffic and started using the clutch and first gear repeatedly  I was alarmed to hear a sort of throbbing noise (which slowly fades) when I depressed the clutch.  I returned immediately to the dealer thinking that the clutch release bearing was about to fail, and although he could not replicate the noise with the car stationary, he was sure that it was the DMF. 

On driving home, as soon as I encountered traffic and started using the clutch and first gear repeatedly  I was alarmed to hear a sort of throbbing noise (which slowly fades) when I depressed the clutch.

That's the sound!  Mine slowly fades too.  Did you return the car?

Looks like you still drive a 1.6 CR 105.  If you bought a different one, do you still get the sound?

I still have the same car, and it sounds the same so I guess the dealer was right.  I have heard the same sound from other Skodas too, its quite distinctive, so I presume its quite normal, if a little odd.  

Thanks Gino4.

I took mine to a different main dealer yesterday, and after a 15 min drive he still couldn't hear the noise, but I could. I could also hear it clearly from the passenger seat when he was driving back, which at least reassured me it wasn't my driving. And no, I don't have tinitus- my brother heard it immediately last week!

Whatever is actually making the sound, I think I have to accept that it is 'normal', and I just have to get used to it.  Think I'll mark this as solved.

Edited by zep1100