Mk 1 1.9Tdi ASZ engine washer reservoir removal

KMS1

Screen wash 'bottle' is leaking from somewhere, it empties overnight and drips can be seen under front bumper. Haynes manual (chapter 12.16) says to remove coolant bottle screws and diesel filter, both done. It then says to remove the two plastic securing nuts of the reservoir but I can only see one. When this is removed it  is possible to move the bottle sufficiently to clear the securing stud but it seems impossible to remove the bottle  as there is no room for it to clear the underside of the wing. 

Can anyone please advise?

I also struggled with this recently.

I wanted to change out the alternator clutch on the same (ASZ) engine and considered doing it in situ (alternator still in the engine).  However, in order to obtain sufficient room for the clutch removal tool I needed to remove the washer bottle.  Because the 130hp ASZ engine Octavias have headlight washers, then the washer bottle is much larger than the standard bottle. (5.5 litre).

I found 1 plastic nut at the top of the bottle and another steel bolt on the bottom left (as looking down).  The washer bottle still wouldn't shift, it was still fixed by something.

In the end, I removed the alternator to do the job and left the washer bottle where it was.

I now think that you probably access the lower part of the bottle via the wheel-arch liner, you will also have to remove the square sectioned intercooler pipe which runs next to the bottle to slide it out when the bottle is loose and this you have to do by removing the wheel-arch cover.

Cheers,  Terry

Edited by scotsgent

• 2 weeks later...

Thank you Terry, I have only just read your reply as I had been side tracked by other issues. Fortunately in the end I did not attempt to remove the bottle but replaced the two grommets for the two pumps (headlights and windscreen). The leak now seems to have been stopped however I can't be sure whether it was the new grommets that did the trick. I had difficulty removing the rear (windscreen pump), when I replaced it I realised that there are two short stubs exiting the pump and one of the tubes kept coming off  its stub. There is little room to work but I eventually managed insert the pump into the washer bottle without dislodging the tube and all now seems to be well. 

You confirmed my suspicion that the job is not as easy as the Haynes Manual would lead one to believe. Many thanks for taking time to answer my request.