Wipers start when indicating left

Hi all

2000 Felicia estate 1.3 petrol engine. When I indicate left the wipers start and continue until the indicators cancel when they do 2 more wipes and park. I vaguely recall reading somewhere that the circuit board on the fusebox has known problems.

Can anyone confirm this?

Anyone any ideas what the problem might be?

Phil

the only known issue of relay/fuse panel is water dripping on it from a bad windscreen seal and corrosion.

that water has the bad habit of causing odd short circuits inside.

look for signs of moisture first.

look for signs of melted wires too.

any prior event/repair related to wiring or electrical circuit?

in case the relay/fuse panel is looking good there may be a ground circuit missing.

remove the lower cover panel below steering wheel  (1 screw) and you'll see 2 ground points where a bunch of brown wires meet.

wiggle those wires to check if one is loose.

if everything is good remove the upper cover panel of the steering wheel and check for loose wires going to directional lights switch and wipers switch.

if all is good, one or both switches are bad.

what happens when you engage first speed of wipers?

left blinker lights?

OK I'm guessing corrosion as I have occasionally had a small puddle on the passenger side rubber mat after torrential rain.

Strange thing is it only seems to do it when the weather is warm/sunny and the inside of the car gets hot.

Is it an easy fix to swap out?

I'll check the connections in the column again although I have been down that route already.

Phil

• 2 weeks later...

Just thought I'd update this.

Fuse board changed. The old one had loads of corrosion and what looked like the results of arcing across a couple of the copper strips.

However the problem persisted so rechecked earths - all OK. Gave the switches a complete bath in cleaner and it is now better but still not fixed. I still get a double wipe when starting the car. I was looking at changing the switches but that looks a nightmare. Does the top shroud have to come off and if so does the steering column have to be dropped?

Phil  

Just thought I'd update this.

well done, this is the only reason that motivates us to keep helping.

the final solution of the repair.

everybody will learn from it.

Gave the switches a complete bath in cleaner and it is now better but still not fixed.

that means you're getting closer.

I still get a double wipe when starting the car. I was looking at changing the switches but that looks a nightmare. Does the top shroud have to come off and if so does the steering column have to be dropped?

no (see photos) 

661b0fc7f575.jpg

1a31a2bd0f51.jpg

Final? update.

Now the weather has turned colder, or because of the absolute bath I gave the switches, or because of the replacement fuse board the problem appears to have gone away.

I will close this thread now and open a new one if the problem re-appears (when the weather warms up so Spring time I guess :-)

Many thanks for all your help.

Phil