EGR Valve, Fabia II Greenline

Hi All,

Has anybody had a new egr valve fitted on a Fabia Greenline 2011

Mines done 30500 miles & the engine management light came on last week.

Ran it into Robinsons Norwich & they said egr valve needs replacing.

2 months out of warranty so as a good will gesture Skoda paid for the part & 50% labour which still left me with a bill

for £216 (2.4 hours @ £75 + vat).

When I got it back I noticed that the sensor on top of the dpf had also been changed as it's 30mm taller than the old one.

Does anybody know if Skoda has had a problem with these.

Thanks,

David.

Hi David, sorry to hear you had to pay some money! I don't have that model but am quite well connected to the trade and many owners with this car and as far as I know there are no particular problems with egr's or sensors. However, you do hear of the odd sensor going south for any make of car not just Skoda. They get a hard life but will often last for years. Regarding the egr. How long the egr lasts is often down to the sort of motoring you do and how your drive the car. If you slog the car around in very high gears all the time the egr gets quite dirty, and stiff to operate, as it does if you use it for mainly slow speed, town work too. This makes it more likely to fail early. It's important to let the engine rev a bit now and again to keep the egr and engine generally clear of carbon soot. It's also good for the DPF (diesel particulate filter) to rev it hard now and again. Generally, you should not have any problems with those things. Most owners do not ever get a problem. 

A quick search of this forum showed up 6 users who have had egr valves replaced on the 1.6 cr tdi. I think the GL2 engine is the same with a cylinder chopped off. It looks the same anyway. While not a massive problem there is certainley some evidence of a common problem here. Also I have read the following on Honest Johns review of the Fabia 2.

"26-5-2013: Failure of Exhast Gas Recirculation Valve reported every 15k - 20k miles on 35k mile Fabia TDI."

I think Skoda UK should put a longer warranty on this part, maybe 10 years. If theres no problem it would not cost them a penny.

Edited by bobjob49

hi, i also are having problems  with the green line  1.4, been told its the E R G that needs cleaning as i have the glow plug warning flashing, engine managment on then the particale light came on, changed the glowplug relay, solinoid, both new.still drives very well, what is the location  of the egr valve, any input would be of great help  thanks

Hi trofye, the egr is behind the engine (on the exhaust side). It's difficult to get to normally. Although I've not replaced one on the Greenline. Often the engine must be unbolted and raised to get to it. I dropped the engine on a Passat to do one. It cost the owner lots of money. Toyota Avensis diesel is easy with the egr being on the front of the engine and takes just 40 mins to change it. Good design! Cost is £240 for the egr on the Toyota. Probably similar on Greenline I'd expect.

Bob, to be clear, 6 users on here saying their 1.6cr TDI's have problems with the egr is not an indication of problems generally, you know that of course. The honest John site is referring to one car.  Don't forget we are talking about the Greenline 1.2 in this thread. There are thousands of these Greenlines running around in this country, most of whom never have a problem. However, it must be said that egr's have a finite life like any component. It will fail early if the car is not driven correctly and just slogged around in high gears all the time. It lives in an extremely hostile environment! They just choke up, corrosion sets in, and they stop working. The electrics also pack up sometimes. The same can happen after a very high mileage too. The 1.6 engine you mention is particularly prone to some owners not knowing how to drive them and they slog them around causing the problem of early egr failure. It's not a fault, just owners not realising how to drive the car. If you look back over the forums for all cars dating back to 2000, egr's fail, mostly due to being slogged around. It's not new. I've replaced several on all makes over the years, all on cars that do mostly low miles and get driven at very low revs, in town, urban use etc. That's why diesels are not good unless you do mega miles these days and preferably on motorways. Used like that they rarely fail. 

hi estate man, thanks for ur input,  the car has  3 differant  garages on there diagostic  machines nothing showed up, thats why i am trying anything, took it for a 100mile hard drive in 2nd gear 40mph  3 to 4 rpm as main agent  said , so look like a strip down.  could it be the west gate actuator.  but thanks again

• 4 months later...

Hi, that's sounds about right.

I had mine done, 2 months out of warranty so as a good will gesture Skoda paid for the part & 50% labour which still left me with a bill

for £216 (2.4 hours @ £75 + vat).

David.

• 3 years later...

Hi Dave

Exactly the same happened to us same model same age roughly same milage, but we had to pay all of it ourselves, the same has just happened again with 85000 on the clock this is after the vw  emission remap it says to me there is a major problem.

Marilyn