Fabia MK Vrs - CTHE, have I said the right thing?

Hi,

I was in Larkhall earlier this evening and as I pulled into the car park noticed another metallic green mk2 Vrs sitting so I went and parked ours right next to it. The owner came out of the store as we got out the car and we got to blethering about the cars, as you do.

His is a 13 plate, so hopefully has a CTHE engine installed.

One of the first things he asked me was about oil use, and of course I recently went through the process of having the engine changed in our 2012 CAVE engined Vrs. He was worried because his car had used 2l of oil over the 10,000 miles he has had the wee car. He had been on the Briskoda facebook page and read a lot of negative posts about oil and engines being changed, so was worried when I told him of our experience.

I told him not to worry about 2l of oil used in 10,000 miles on a CTHE engined car, but to monitor it and make sure it doesn't get to the levels such as mine and others were at prior to change of engines. He says he never drives it hard and it's mostly short journeys, and he uses 95 ron fuel from Asda, where of course it's 119.9 at the moment. I suggested to him he might want to consider running it on Tesco Momentum or another 99 ron fuel if he can as apparently this is better for the engine in the short, middle and long term, but said he would need to work that one out himself.

I've asked him to join the forum here and to make contact with the same experienced owners and users who have proved invaluable in assisting me and many others, but have I given him the correct steer on the oil use with the CTHE engine? I kept the message very positive by the way, making sure he knew it was a minority of engines that were affected and very, very few of them being CTHE so tried to boost him by saying his would be fine, and not to worry.

ps. My son took a couple of photos of the mini green meet, I'll see about getting them posted.

Edited by Sittingbull
  • Like 2

Thanks George, I said to the fella to look out for you on the forum when he joined, in a good way of course!

He was going home to check his service schedule to make sure the sticker on his inside page showed his was indeed a CTHE engined car. He was asking about getting it remapped and I advised him I wouldn't due to voiding warranty but again would be up to him, but at the same time he was asking what was meant by remapped, so I'm not sure if he was serious.

Really nice chap by the way, and like me has taken a lot of stick for being a Rangers fan with a bright green car in and around Larkhall!

I would have been stronger about the type of fuel used.

There are not that many cars where the manufacturer states that super fuel is preferred to ordinary.

So why,especially, if you are particularly concerned about the future health of your engine,would you not put in super?

If not,then reduced performance,reduced mpg and greater risk of engine damage just to save a few pence per fill up.

That's it,no more to say,don't make this into a fuel debate,there's no doubt at all about the right thing to do.

Hi,

I was in Larkhall earlier this evening and as I pulled into the car park noticed another metallic green mk2 Vrs sitting so I went and parked ours right next to it. The owner came out of the store as we got out the car and we got to blethering about the cars, as you do.

His is a 13 plate, so hopefully has a CTHE engine installed.

One of the first things he asked me was about oil use, and of course I recently went through the process of having the engine changed in our 2012 CAVE engined Vrs. He was worried because his car had used 2l of oil over the 10,000 miles he has had the wee car. He had been on the Briskoda facebook page and read a lot of negative posts about oil and engines being changed, so was worried when I told him of our experience.

I told him not to worry about 2l of oil used in 10,000 miles on a CTHE engined car, but to monitor it and make sure it doesn't get to the levels such as mine and others were at prior to change of engines. He says he never drives it hard and it's mostly short journeys, and he uses 95 ron fuel from Asda, where of course it's 119.9 at the moment. I suggested to him he might want to consider running it on Tesco Momentum or another 99 ron fuel if he can as apparently this is better for the engine in the short, middle and long term, but said he would need to work that one out himself.

I've asked him to join the forum here and to make contact with the same experienced owners and users who have proved invaluable in assisting me and many others, but have I given him the correct steer on the oil use with the CTHE engine? I kept the message very positive by the way, making sure he knew it was a minority of engines that were affected and very, very few of them being CTHE so tried to boost him by saying his would be fine, and not to worry.

ps. My son took a couple of photos of the mini green meet, I'll see about getting them posted.

Sounds like you covered it perfectly IMO.

& 2 litres used in 10,000 mile is nothing really.

^^^^ my CTHE has used a litre every 5k since I have owned it (30k) , this is perfectly normal and acceptable, average for highly stressed modern engines, less than a 2 litre fsi in an octy would use for example..... funny though it stopped using any oil at all since my nurburgring trip in sept, its hasn't budged at all. must have liked the spanking it got! lol

There are not that many cars where the manufacturer states that super fuel is preferred to ordinary.

So why,especially, if you are particularly concerned about the future health of your engine,would you not put in super?

If not,then reduced performance,reduced mpg and greater risk of engine damage just to save a few pence per fill up.

That's it,no more to say,don't make this into a fuel debate,there's no doubt at all about the right thing to do.

agreed. these cars really don't like 95... thats when I first discovered I had plug problems, when I was (logistically) forced to put 95 in, and it misfired like hell.... granted it was due to knackered plugs, BUT the fuel showed it up!

To be fair I didn't feel as if I could force the chap to use 99 ron fuel, so I just said I wouldn't use anything else. And to be fair to him he said he would now use Momentum as his workplace is adjacent to a Tesco, it's just that before last night the chap hadn't realised that he would be better off for all the reasons listed using Momentum or similar.

Dealer had told him just to use normal unleaded when he bought the car so that's exactly what the chap had done. The subject of fuel came up after we had discussed oil use, and I asked him what fuel he was using. He was genuinely shocked that the lower octane fuel could have an adverse longer term effect on his engine, and I think after our blether he will move to super unleaded. 

And no fuel debate from me, I agree entirely with what you say.

• Like 1