No oil pressure - Is the engine in our Scout damaged beyond repair?

Hi, hope the forum can offer some advice. The oil pressure warning light came on in my wife's 2007 scout yesterday. (2.0 tdi BMM) Oil levels were checked and were ok, and the light went off soon afterwards. Today after 6 miles driving it came on again. My wife assumed the oil needed topping off so stopped the car and put a bit of oil in. Shortly afterwards the engine apparently became very "bumpy" and the yellow light came on with a warning about the oil pressure sensor. My wife stopped the car immediately and was unable to restart it. Car is now with local garage who initially thought it was just a failed pressure switch but now reckon it has about twice as much fluid in the engine as it should . Given it only had a minimal oil top up- they think fuel has leaked into the engine block.

They are going to do a pressure test tomorrow and take a look under the head but it doesn't sound good.

Anyone experienced anything similar? Car has done 120k and apart from usual sensor problems has been pretty reliable.

If we do need to replace the engine can anyone recommend a decent supplier?

Hmm, doesn't sound good. Another Scout also saw the end of the road fairly recently at 120,000 miles.

Be aware that the 8V SOHC engine does not like to be starved of oil and regular fresh oil is the key to a long life on these engines. If diesel has been mixing with (and diluting) the oil then there is every chance damage has been done to the turbo too.

However my biggest concern would be the cams, they are quite susceptible to failure, especially when exposed to the wrong grade / poor quality or lack of oil.

http://www.briskoda.net/forums/topic/278815-probably-good-bye/?hl

The thread above also contains an old eBay listing for a second hand BMM engine for £1,200 (plus fitting) to give you an idea of cost.

Let us know how you get on.

I'm bracing myself for a big bill. It's been on a main dealer long life service schedule which is what we were recommended to do based on our annual mileage. Sounds like that may have been a bad move....

The bumpyness could just be down to the vast quantity of oil or oil/fuel. 

It could also mean it is very poorly indeed, ie wrecked engine.

As Silver says, all engines, especially Diesels because of the high loadings and even more the VAG PD series because of the cam/pump architecture are dedendant on plenty of the correct lubricant in the right place to function for more than a few seconds.

If the valve cover is removed, the camshaft should be closely inspected for damage on all the lobes.  I presume your garage is doing this?

If no damage is evident, then it could be down to the tandem pump which has both oil and Diesel in it, but they should be kept separate.  If the seals in this has failed then it could be the cause of your problems.

If there is no damage is done to the cams, a new tandem pump may just be enough.

Note the lots of "ifs".

I'm bracing myself for a big bill. It's been on a main dealer long life service schedule which is what we were recommended to do based on our annual mileage. Sounds like that may have been a bad move....

Sorry to hear about this, but to be honest with you, will it be worth repairing, because engine related work can be very expensive. Would you be better off buying another car?

Edited by andyoctavia

Hi Nick. Just spoke to the garage and funnily enough they were thinking along the same tracks as you as they'd found there was no braking pressure. They are going to have a look this afternoon and let me know. Had a quick search online and someone reported the same problem in an A3 and the symptoms they describe were exactly what my wife experienced.

Fingers crossed, but as you say, a lot of ifs.

As a fallback I've been getting quotes for replacement engine. I've got one quote of £1095 for supply only and another for £1800 collected and fitted with a 12 month warranty.

As ever, some brilliant knowledge and advice on here. Thanks all - will keep you posted.

Sorry to hear about this, but to be honest with you, will it be worth repairing, because engine related work can be very expensive. Would you be better off buying another car?

Agree it doesn't sound good. It all comes down to the costs in the end  and another car sounds the way to go.

@andyoctavia

Replacing the car is also an option we are considering. In working order it's worth around 5k I reckon. It's looking like upwards of 2k if a replacement engine is required. Not sure of the residual value as is... If any. Was considering a call to Skoda to see if the would offer anything on trade in.

It's been a great car so I'd be sorry to see it go, my concern is that even if we do replace the engine, there may be other problems lurking which will come back and bite us.

@andyoctavia

Replacing the car is also an option we are considering. In working order it's worth around 5k I reckon. It's looking like upwards of 2k if a replacement engine is required. Not sure of the residual value as is... If any. Was considering a call to Skoda to see if the would offer anything on trade in.

It's been a great car so I'd be sorry to see it go, my concern is that even if we do replace the engine, there may be other problems lurking which will come back and bite us.

Bad luck, it seems as though you are caught between a rock and a hard place. I have to admit that I would be struggling to make a decision as well.