yurg's vrs (nothing special)

yurgster

I bought a vrs ( in the dark ) and it's going to be a bit more work than I first anticipated. Although I picked it up at a good price I think it was very neglected before I got it.

At the moment I have abs, power steering and engine management lights on. My mate has a auto com cdp+ system, but unfortunately he broke the coms box the day he was going to diagnose my car. So I will have to wait before I can get any codes.

The power steering doesn't work at all, and it drains the battery over night. I have searched the forum and there was a great post about it on here. So should be solved soon.

I haven't got the car on the road yet, but I am trying to get it sorted ASAP as I want to use it as my commuter.

I am even more worried now as I checked the oil last night and it's bone dry. hopefully no serious damage has been done, and hopefully it's not a serious issue... A little part of me is telling me I shouldn't of bought the car, but the service history seemed good and the guy was nice??? It only has 82k miles on the clock backed up by mot's.

So, fingers crossed- hopefully I haven't bought a scrapie. the car owes me a grand if it's not fixable, but surely I can put it right?

I have started this thread to let you guys know how I get on and hopefully get some help/advice. I will get pictures up once I get the car in a garage so that I can start work on it.

Here's hoping I can be a fellow vrs keeper.

Yurg.

New battery will likely fix a few electrical issues, or possibly the 

car isn't charging the one already in there because of the well 

documented alternator wire fault. 

No oil is MUCH more of a worry. It's critical with these engines that 

they need to

a. have some oil in there

and

b. and for it to be of the correct spec. 

Next time you buy a car, don't do it in the dark and definitely check the oil.

• Like 1

I am off to town to go and get:

timing belt kit.

Water pump

fan belt

oil

filter

My mate is going to help me check all the components on the engine. Hopefully the oil issue is only a seal and nothing more serious.

O the up side .... with a jump. It start on the turn of the key... has a good clutch and gear box... and that's about it. Haha

Let the fun begin.

So it turns out the local car garage doesn't stock all the item I required, and they were allot more expensive than online, so will be getting the bits I need online.

I lifted the battery today, and found that the power steering fluid was empty. I topped it up and hey presto, we have power steering. But.... There is a burst pipe, as the fluid was pouring out. I will get the car jacked up and start looking for the leak. Now the question is. Would the fact that the pump can't circulate the fluid be draining the battery over night?

The battery is charging at 14.4v.

Thanks for the advice about the oil, I will make sure I get the right oil. And hopefully it stays where it's meant to be.

Cheers for now.

Yurg.

Edited by yurgster

Hopefully this will sort the Power steering. 

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/New-Steering-rack-pipes-for-VW-Polo-02-09-/221664602686?pt=UK_CarsParts_Vehicles_CarParts_SM&hash=item339c3d6a3e

I have found some signs of an oil leak on the left of the engine bay ( as you are looking at the car) I will take some pictures tonight and hopefully you guys can shed some light.

Yurg.

I will finally be able get some work done on my fabia. Was so happy when I got home from work and opened all the new bits.

Full timing belt kit.

Fan belt.

New power steering hoses.

And best of all.... my new rear 3 point seat.

2lZgzx.jpg

HVrZ3i.jpg

Can I get a window regulator from a polo 9N?

Keep well.

Yurg.

• 2 weeks later...

Finally. All parts fitted and all fluids changed.

She passed her MOT with flying colours. Only 2 advisories, so I am a happy man.

All in she cost me £500 to get back on the road.. seems I dodged a bullet with her.

I am now officially a vrs owner.

Yurg.

• Like 1