annoying rattle! 1.8t auq

Twiggy86

Hey guys,I've got this annoying rattle. I can't pin point it at all! New belt kit 2k ago with water pump and full service at the same time. It's still present when the aux belt is removed and it's worse when warm.

Video to follow

Edited by Twiggy86

I had something similar after belt change and it turned out to be the tensioner had failed, iirc when the engine wasn't running i pulled back the cam belt cover enough to get my fingers in an feel the belt was slack. I hope this isn't the case but i ended up replacing belt and tensioner for a second time and touch wood its been ok since.

Yeah, I would tend to agree. It could well be the tensioner. It sounds quite dull (or deep in the engine) which is what made me think flywheel.

The engine really isn't known for anything else. As long as it is distinct from the rocker assembly noise and the charcoal canister tick, next bet would be the timing belt tensioner. It might get worse when the engine is warm because the belt softens a little.