How do i change the colour of the bulbs in the window control panel?

Haych123

Hi,

looking to change the green bulbs in all the window control switches and the petrol flap release buttons on my vrs.. how do i do it also had a quick look and i think i need the t5 286 bulbs is this correct?

can anyone shed some light on it..?

Cheers

Dark_Hero is the man you need to ask on here, he has done quite a few colour changes for switches, dash etc, He did Gee's awesome vrs on here, check it out in the project section.  He's normally on here at some point, if not, pm him.

Hi,

looking to change the green bulbs in all the window control switches and the petrol flap release buttons on my vrs.. how do i do it also had a quick look and i think i need the t5 286 bulbs is this correct?

can anyone shed some light on it..?

Cheers

HI

I have recently done it on my Octy... For bulbs in switches on the passenger doors you will have to use a SMD 3528 size. They are soldered to the switchpanel and you will have to use solder iron to remove old one and refit a new one.

It is not so hard. You can by these diode separately but there is a cheaper way. Check this: http://www.ebay.com/itm/H4-3528-68-SMD-LED-6500K-310-Lumen-White-Fog-Light-Bulb-Headlight-Car-DC-12V-/191411934622?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_15&hash=item2c910a559e&vxp=mtr

This is a H4 bulb with small 3528 SMD. just unsolder these and resolder them to the switch panel. Also you can get LED tape (easier to unsolder the diodes) and do the same procedure, the most important is to use these 3528 SMD LED diodes because of the size (these fit perfectly and are the same size of factory diodes!). Also you can use these to change backlight color of speedo, climatronic and rear mirrors switch (BTW all of these is a real PITA and requires a lot of patience)

Regarding switches for fuel tank, rear windshield defroster etc, bulbs in these are very different. Bulbs which come with switches are classic leds with round shaped head. To fit SMD LED (t5 size) you will have to modify the housing by removing same parts of plastic so you could fit SMD diode together with its own palstic housing.

Regarding switches on the divers door panel, here, the bulbs used are the same one used for switches for fuel tank, rear windshield defroster etc. In following days I am planning to swap bulbs in it on my Octy and I will be happy to share the info.

Hope this will be useful.

Best regards,

Edited by Arminator

As promised to inform you about my DIY job, I replaced bulbs in switches on drivers door panel, you can also use SMD 3528 size as mentioned in my previous post as they fit here perfectly too...

Edited by Arminator