Minor Niggles....

PaulAlex

Guys,

My new black vRS has now covered 2000 miles in 3 weeks (Avemore two weeks ago and Wales this weekend !!), and I'm very, very impressed. I've got 18" rims on the way, and its booked into Jabba's for a remap on October 3rd. I honestly didnt believe i'd like it THAT much, and am amazed at the number of comments I've had about how smart it looks.......

However, there are a couple of points that I dont particularly like, so thought I'd see if its just me, or whether some others think the same....

a) The throttle seems pretty unresponsive. I dont mean that it doesnt give a kick in the back like my old Evo's/Subaru's etc, but that the first few mm of pedal, either from standstill or if already at part-throttle seems "dead". In fact, whilst demonstrating it to a friend on some mid-Wales roads this weekend, I could tap the throttle peddle enough for him to hear me doing it, with no noticable change on engine revs or any visible change on the rev counter. I presume its maybe been done to make the car super smooth, but feel that the lack accuracy between throttle travel and engine revs compromises "on-the-limt" driving. Maybe the Jabba re-map will make a difference ?

B) Am I the only one who doesnt like the power is cut off when the brake is applied. I know that in 90% of driving it isnt an issue, but if you try left-foot-braking it's lethal !! :)

c) Anyone else find that reverse is difficult to disengage ? I noticed it the day I collected the car, and it went back to the dealers last week. They agreed that it wasn't right and have tried to adjust what they could (and applied lots of WD40 !), but I still dont think its right. They did say leave it a few miles and then see if it loosens up, but I'm not at all convinced. What does bother me, is that if I dont get it sorted before the Jabba work, Skoda may turn around and say no new gearbox on warranty as you've modded your car......

Any comments ?

Cheers,

Paul

www.alexrally.com

a) Mine is dead as well for about 1-2 mm. Better with Jabba. Hardly ever notice it as I usually either use cruise control or have the pedal mashed into the carpet :D Think I'd be happy with an on/off switch :)

B) Yep, its a wierd one. Turning off the traction control doesn't make any difference. I suppose its because left foot braking isn't "normal" therefore it must be dangerous :rolleyes: Miss being able to left foot brake :(

c) No problems at all with mine on this score.

a) Soft response is the way the fly by wire throttle is set up, and can appear to make the car feel slow. However, when stuck in traffic on the M60, which seems to be about 60% of my time in the car, it can be very relaxing to cruise in 1st gear without the jerkiness of instant response. I used to drive a Rover 200vi which had a quick throttle response.... absolute pain in the **** in traffic!! I ended up riding the clutch a lot, which can be very tiresome.

B) Found this very disconcerting, but as Jon once told me, turn off the traction control and apply the hand brake instead. Much more fun!

c) Also had a stiff reverse gear, come to think of it so was first gear. Have covered 20k now and seems to be loosening up a bit, although sometimes I still have to move the gear lever into second before putting it in first when stationary. On my mate

Hi Paul,

I kinow mines a TDi , not a vRS!, but for the first 1K miles, reverse gear was difficult to disengage and I was considering taking it back to my dealer, but it loosened off and I have forgotten about it 'til you mentioned it - so I wouldn't worry yet!

John.

Hi Paul,

a) know what you mean but have not experienced a Scooby/EVO have not point of reference.

B) I think this is a safety function built....remember seeing something about it in last weeks(?) Autocar.

c) yep reverse was initially an a*se to engage but has slackened off with miles.

Cheers.

Adrian.

My Clio Cup had the same problem with it's fbw throttle as well.

MY vRS has covered 700 miles know and getting it out of reverse is a pain sometimes.

I also have a squeak whenever i close any of the doors. (rather loud and rather annoying)

Clutch seams to judder. It's ok on take up of drive but when the pedal reach's the top it judders through the pedal. Never happens if you are already moving.

I have a new VRS within 2 miles of picking it up I couldnt get it out of 5th gear for what seemed like an age, now it has never recurred. But my reverse is the same as yours I have to make a concious effort to get it out of the reverse gear. I told the dealer I was willing to run with it for a while to see if it improves - There is a known issue with the Fabia gearbox apparently

I've just dropped my car off at another dealer today. They say that they have a tech-note on the gearbox problem and are confident that they can sort it.

To be honest, I was beginning to wonder if it was just me being fussy, but when it took two hands to get it out of reverse this am, I'm sure its a fault that wont just go away. I'll keep you posted on what they find - I'm just soooo desperate to get it sorted before Thursday so that my Jabba session can still go ahead on Firday.......

Cheers,

Paul

Good news ! Dealer has just phoned to say the car is all sorted - which means I can visit Jabba tomorrow afternoon :) :) Also, my 18" rims have arrived, so the vRS will think that its its birthday tomorrow !!

FYI The dealer says that Skoda have released a bulletin on the iffy gear linkage/change, and that mine has had a different rod fitted as advised in the bulletin. If anyone else out there isnt too happy with their gearshift, it might just be worth a call to your dealer.....?

Cheers,

Paul.

I'm very imresseed Denis - not only with the dealer who seemed VERY knowlegable and has done an excellent job, but also Skoda Customer Services (Alistair) who have been calling nearly every day to see if there's anything they can do to help.

Jabba today :)

Paul

Paul, make sure you vote for the dealer in the Dealership Poll thread if you haven't already and post some comments about the dealer too. We need to know who the good and not so good dealers are.