touch up paint

Hi all

Bought myself some official Skoda touch up paint

Comes with two bottles, one the colour of my car (labelled basecoat) and another labelled Clearcoat

Instructions are as clear as mud

"Apply an initial coat of Basecoat 1 for 3-coat paints and allow to dry for 45 minutes. The damaged area is repaired with a basecoat (basecoat 2 for 3 coat paints).  Allow approx 45 minutes drying time and paint a second coat of clearcoat."

I think something got lost in translation somewhere, as a result I aint got a scooby !!!!!  :-)

Anyone have any ideas please ???

Am thinking one of the basecoat (colour) and one of the clear coat and I should be fine.  Only small stone chips that I am trying to fix.

Cheers

For stone chips, I just dab the colour in with a cocktail stick or a match stick end cut off at an angle.

Never done it in coats for a stone chip, unless it's a crater size!

Try to finish off with clear but takes skill to not end up with it proud so I don't bother.

I gave up and now use Chip-Ex dead easy.

Wash it and get rid of any wax oil etc with IPA wipe before starting.

Disclaimer. I'm no expert, more experienced folk will pass by soon.

Edit - if a mod can move this to Styling and car care then many will advise there.

• 4 years later...

Hi,

this is an old topic but this info might be useful to somebody else. I have purchased also an official touch up set from Skoda, the instructions are indeed useless as Graham claims, searching the web i found a useful video which shows exactly how to use these sets containing a base coat and a clear coat (the video shows a Honda car and paint set, but the procedure must be the same):

1 minute ago, souperb said:

Hi,

this is an old topic but this info might be useful to somebody else. I have purchased also an official touch up set from Skoda, the instructions are indeed useless as Graham claims, searching the web i found a useful video which shows exactly how to use these sets containing a base coat and a clear coat (the video shows a Honda car and paint set, but the procedure must be the same):

The trick is to apply as thing of a coat as you can get away with. As above, using a toothpick can be useful.

I've also repaired a larger area (approx 2cm by 1cm) with the touch up set before. The only difference there was I wet sanded the area to smooth it out afterwards. Then had to polish it back up.