It's dead...

After my misfire last week, the garage have replaced the injector wiring loom and the injector which was at fault, however there is now a lack of compression on cylinder number 2... they are looking into what can have caused this before proceeding with any work, however i get the feeling that throwing £1500+ at a car that is probably only worth £2500 at the most is not really worth it - thoughts please?

What then would be the best way to dispose of the car (2008 58 Octavia 4x4 with 135K on, good condition (apart from the engine) new discs pads all round last march, new springs/dampers last may, FSH)

i know it must be worth more than just the scrap value but i dont really know what else to do with it (ebay spares or repair?)

Help please - alternatively anyone in the preston area fancy a project car!?

If the rest of the car is in good condition other than the engine problem (if it is a bent conrod etc) then you may be better off fitting a 2nd hand engine & keeping the car rather than getting rid as it wont be worth much at all with a duff engine.

• Like 1

i know but i'm not exactly flush with either time or money at the moment, would it be a new engine if it is the conrod?

If the conrod hasn't gone completely (as in it hasn't chucked itself through the block) then a new conrod (I'd replace them all while in there) can be fitted.

They've (the garage) just called me, it is the camshaft and the lifters that have worn causing the valves not to open properly, so they should be able to do it in line with the budget we have to fix the old girl, looks like my new car dreams might not be happening so soon! In case you were wondering it was this deal that i was interested in!

http://www.simpsonsskoda.co.uk/new-car-offers/new-superb/

• Like 1

Ah right. Due to it's design the PD engine is quite prone to wear there hence why the correct oil is paramount. The camshaft lobes are given quite a lot of hammer driving the unit injectors.

It's quite easy to get to is the cam and easy to replace so not going to be massive bucks hopefully.

You're certainly using the right oil there so it should be good for another 135k miles! lol

That Superb deal is pretty good. Would love a new Superb they are a very nice car.

Guess you're stuck with the Octavia a bit longer though!

• Like 1