Windscreen Wiper problem

chippy1

Hi, hope someone can help please, this is my first post as have only just joined the forum.  This morning I put my wipers on but the drivers side was not working.  The passenger side was working fine and also the rear.  Can anyone suggest what the problem may be, wiper motor, fuse?

Grateful for any assistance.  Thanks

there I only 1 motor for the front wipers , so will be an issue with the linkage

chances are you will be able to move the drivers side by hand, if so the sure sign linkage is stuffed

• 4 weeks later...

Hi, I had same problem, linkage broken. Got someone to drill it out and bolt it instead which lasted a couple of days before nut fell off! but I took apart again and re-bolted with normal nut and nyloc. Fairly easy to get to, take caps and nuts off wipers - might have to put a cloth or clamp on arms and tap with a hammer, mine were on solid, then take rubber strip off and two nuts off the tray under the bonnet that fits under the windscreen, carefully draw it forward and past the bonnet (washer tubes still attached) and you will see the broken linkage. Apparently you need to replace the whole linkage and motor as things don't come apart easily so definitely worth drilling the fixing out or getting someone to and bolting securely with a little bit of play between the first nut and the lower nyloc. I have used about a 10 - 12mm bolt about 40 - 50mm long. There is just enough room to get a socket on the top of the bolt and an adjustable on the nuts :)

• Like 2

• 4 years later...

I had the same problem and due top this post (thank you!) had a good idea about what was wrong with mine without looking. Indeed the linkage had dropped out (too worn) and together with a savvy friend we reconnected the wiper arm linkage by drilling a shaft and fitting a bolt and a normal nut and nyloc too. It works again! And didn't cost me anything... my friend had all the materials and provided the bolt and nuts.

The common part of the linkage that drops off once the joint is worn is relatively cheap, did mine a few months ago, think it was £6.

It happened about 2 years ago and I got some linkage clips off ebay that worked well and lasted 18 months, I'm guessing I'll get longer from the new linkage arm though.

Really easy job, there are videos on youtube to help you.