1.4 tdi pd oil filter questions

alankearn

I might be putting my neck on the block here ,but here goes

I hope to get a few of questions answered on a 1.4 tdi pd Polo (new shape) I bought new nearly 4 years ago and as this is by far the most Knowledgeable VAG site I have come across I thought I would risk my neck here. I am going to do my own oil changes using the Millers special oil for the pd engine ( a lot cheaper than the main dealers).

As I am 73 years old I don't fancy diving under the sump so I have bought a Pela vacuum oil extractor to make it easier for me.

The questions are these

As I understand it the 1.4 tdi pd 3 cyl. engine is a 1.9 tdi pd 4 cyl. engine with one cylinder chopped off if this is the case is the oil cannister on the front of the engine that holds the oil filter the same. I have seen mentioned on these forums the the large nut on top the plastic cap of the oil cannister is 32mm on mine it is 35mm across the flats of the hexagon does this mean it is different to the 1.9 tdi pd. Can someone tell me in laymans language how I go about changing the oil filter.

In the Service Schedule it mentions checking the Oil level in manual gearbox and final drive how do I do this when I cannot find a dipstick. How do I check the level

My last question is, How do I go about changing the fuel filter on the 1.4tdi pd.

I know the 1.4tdi pd engine is relatively new to the Skoda so I am keeping my fingers crossed that someone can give me some advice.

Thanks for letting me into your forums with questions on a different car

Alan

Alan

Oil filter:

Unscrew the plastic top from the oil filter housing, use a socket so that you don't round it off. Pull off the oil filter element if it is still attached to the top, otherwise lift it out of the housing and discard it.

Remove the "O" ring from the plastic top and fit a new one (included with the filter if you buy a VW filter). Fit the new filter element to the plastic cap and screw it back by hand, don't cross thread it. Torque it to the correct torque (stated on the plastic top) with a socket & torque wrench.

Fuel filter:

Ignition off, no smoking etc

Disconnect the hoses by releasing the spring clips with pliers and sliding them down the hoses, away from the filter. Remove the hoses from the filter (rotate them if necessary, to break the seal). Pull the spring clip out and gently by hand pull the plastic T piece out of the filter, position it to one side. Mop up any spilled diesel with a rag.

The filter is retained by a band midway down, use an allen key to release it. It may be easier to undo the 2 nuts holding the filter mounting bracket to the body and lift the whole bracket until you can release the band. Try not to damage the plastic T piece. Then lift the filter out, replace with a new one. If a new "O" ring is supplied for the plastic T piece, remove the old one & fit the new. Put everything back as it was.

It's not difficult, just take your time & be methodical.

The gearbox oil is usually checked by removing the filler level plug (not the drain plug) and adding oil until oil just flows out of the hole. Replace the plug and torque to the correct value. I'm not sure where it is on this engine. It's unlikely to be low on oil - if there are no leaks, from the driveshaft seals for example.

Good luck.

Alan

Oil filter:

Unscrew the plastic top from the oil filter housing' date=' use a socket so that you don't round it off. Pull off the oil filter element if it is still attached to the top, otherwise lift it out of the housing and discard it.

Remove the "O" ring from the plastic top and fit a new one (included with the filter if you buy a VW filter). Fit the new filter element to the plastic cap and screw it back by hand, don't cross thread it. Torque it to the correct torque (stated on the plastic top) with a socket & torque wrench.

Fuel filter:

Ignition off, no smoking etc

Disconnect the hoses by releasing the spring clips with pliers and sliding them down the hoses, away from the filter. Remove the hoses from the filter (rotate them if necessary, to break the seal). Pull the spring clip out and gently by hand pull the plastic T piece out of the filter, position it to one side. Mop up any spilled diesel with a rag.

The filter is retained by a band midway down, use an allen key to release it. It may be easier to undo the 2 nuts holding the filter mounting bracket to the body and lift the whole bracket until you can release the band. Try not to damage the plastic T piece. Then lift the filter out, replace with a new one. If a new "O" ring is supplied for the plastic T piece, remove the old one & fit the new. Put everything back as it was.

It's not difficult, just take your time & be methodical.

The gearbox oil is usually checked by removing the filler level plug (not the drain plug) and adding oil until oil just flows out of the hole. Replace the plug and torque to the correct value. I'm not sure where it is on this engine. It's unlikely to be low on oil - if there are no leaks, from the driveshaft seals for example.

Good luck.[/quote']

Many thanks Paul H

For the very detailed instructions on how to do the jobs.

Believe it or not my last Main Dealer " oil change service" was £81. I can buy Vw manufactured oil filter for £7 and the 4.5 litres of Millers 505.01 special oil @ £5 litre = £22.50. A grand total of £29.50. A saving of £50 so you can see why I want to do it myself.

Alan