Living with a 230RS (and the options I chose) - my first 1500km

I have KESSY on my Yeti, and doors / boot work as follows.

- Lock car by just soft touching indent on driver / Passenger door handle, or use key fob.( holding lock button on keyfob folds in wing mirrors)

- Unlock by just sliding hand between handle and door recess.on either driver or passenger door ( must open one of these within 5--6 second or car automatically re locks itself.)

With the car still locked we can walk up to the rear of the car & press boot handle and the car will deacitvate alarm & open the boot, we can load up, then close the boot & the car will re lock & activate alarm again. i.e. indicator blink and blip that it has done. We do this when shopping so we dont have to got one of the front doors to unlock the whole car to access just the boot. Very useful if you have left SWMBO in a shop & you just want to drop a couple of things off then go back.

I would be VERY surprised of the Octy 3 didnt work the same way, if it doesn't I would be back to dealer to see if there is a setting in ECU not on.

We have also found that if the driver is out of the car with door closed while passenger is still getting out, the driver can soft touch the door handle to lock, and when passenger closes their door the car fully locks. Seems to be the same if passenger is quicker than driver.

If you want to be 100% sure the car is locked, then a quick attempt to open a rear passneger door can confirm if the car has locked or not.

Pretty much same as what i said too lfc...I have also noticed that you can only keyless lock the car if both front doors are shut....if the front passenger door is open the car wont lock until this is shut....works fine on the rear doors too. In the same vain the remote button only locks the car if both front doors are shut...exhibits the same behaviour.

Quick update driving today :)

Did a 250km motorway (80%) run at 130-140kmh on the speedo and a little extra-urban (20%) without paying too much attention to fuel...and got 8.5l/100km which I'm very happy with considering temperature was -8C to -3C.

Other than that, I've been testing the onboard Amundsen sat-nav.  Its good, though not excellent.  The best sat nav I've come across so far is Sygic on my phone but for some reason it doesn't come up on my CarPlay (it may just need an update).  The Amundsen sat-nav is graphically very nice, very quick, and the information is clear.  My complaint would be that it is not as up-to-date as other satnavs and sometimes the instructions are unclear and I took the wrong turn a few times.  It would be nice if it did a road-view at junctions as you get with some satnavs.  I haven't played with all the settings as I didn't want to fiddle with it whilst driving.  The instructions which appear on the Maxidot display are very useful and a nice touch.

I've also been playing about with CarPlay or Smartlink.  I was told I'd get mirror link so I'm very pleased I got this.  I haven't used an original apple cable and it disconnects sometimes when the phone moves.  I'll need to get a different cable.  I think Smartlink is really more for the passenger as I don't like fiddling with it too much when driving.  For any driver operations you can do most essential things from the steering wheel.

One thing I've noticed is that the spoiler on the boot has a very practical function (at least I think so).  My car is totally covered in muck, but the rear window is relatively clean.  I didn't spec a rear wiper, so its good I can see through it.

I'll try and load some photos

Photos attached

The last two are the most recent, about 15minutes since I took them.  At least you can see what an RS230 looks like outside of the showroom :)

I washed it last weekend, but the roads over here are covered in muck during winter because of all the salts and snow.  Its also not very pleasant washing anything in minus C temperatures so it will have to wait :)

post-81431-0-67450500-1453483356_thumb.jpg

post-81431-0-99442600-1453483364_thumb.jpg

post-81431-0-90492800-1453483372_thumb.jpg

post-81431-0-14456900-1453483401_thumb.jpg

post-81431-0-47748000-1453483410_thumb.jpg

post-81431-0-39667800-1453484949_thumb.jpg

post-81431-0-76806400-1453484960_thumb.jpg

Edited by mikerajjers
  • Like 2

Re.: coasting - in a modern car, doesn't this burn slightly more petrol than simply lifting off?

Yes it does, but simply lifting off will slow you down by engine braking. So if you want to keep your speed up, say down a gentle hill, then coasting is more efficient; but it you want to slow down approaching a junction or coming down a steep hill then it is better to stay in gear.

Edited by Rodge