Gearbox FUBAR

SWMBO's Octy -00 has been rolling happily for 180,000 miles, last two years with nothing but ordinary TLC (SWMBO has got some, too).

MOT failure, however, a fortnight ago (rear brakes), so a garage visit was necesssary. And the clutch has been a bit spongy (not surprising, it's the original clutch) so I decided to have it changed as well.

Cot a call from the garage owner, slightly worried after having had a look inside. All that remained of seal and bearing that ought to be there, holding the shaft that operates the clutch (see pic/arrow) was a few fragments of metal. No wonder the clutch felt spongy. Anyone encountered something similar?

gb_zpsv1swysst.jpg

Well, he found a 2nd hand gearbox (65,000 miles, guaranteed). And since he is a man with a conscience who cares not only for his own but also for his customer's wallet he charged us no more than 10 hrs work for standard yearly service (oil, filters &c), fixing the rear brakes (new shoes, cylinders, handbrake wire), and the clutch/gearbox job, which I find quite reasonable.

Edited by swedishskoda
  • Like 1

Don't blame me! But Ironically my 2001 Octy's clutch is a bit spongy too :o .............. 

Maybe worth a closer look? Or a quick sale? As sharkrider wrote, we were lucky catching it - it could have broken down completely any time, especially after the collapsed seal.

Edited by swedishskoda
  • Like 1