Prospective Octavia 2 Buyer

Hi all, 

I'm a new member, looking to gather information on the Octavia 2, specifically the 1.9 PD estate. I'm a uni student, and I'm looking to buy one around June/July as my family are emigrating to Ireland and my girlfriend is moving to Cornwall, so I need something big to move all my stuff around. I'll have up to £4k to spend, although I'm hoping I can save some of it for fuel and other stuff. 

I'm just wondering what to look out for, and what to avoid really as I'm new to VAG stuff (Mum has a '15 Mii, but that's taken care of) and only really have experience of working on Fords. 

Thanks in advance, 

Jordan

The 1.9pd is a highly regarded car and engine. They are capable of huge miles (ask any taxi driver) main expensive problems engine wise seem to be egr valve and Dual mass flywheel. I replaced both parts on mine (original egr and full Sachs clutch and flywheel kit) after buying the car and it has been a faultless car since.

I would personally look to buy a car without these parts fitted and get them done myself for peace of mind unless the seller had bulletproof evidence of having them done. My car has done 166k never fails to start after 1 turn of the engine and I would trust it to take me anywhere without hesitation. The high miles were a real worry for a while but I am well and truly over that! Service regularly with quality oil and filters and you shouldn't go far wrong.

ive had both the 1.9 pd and the 2  liter diesel and haven't had many problems. The only thing Ive had to do major wise is to replace part of the rear suspension on the work car as the rear tracking had seized up on the work car. Mark 2's are favoured by taxi drivers hence reflected in the price. I'd budget £2000 for a 199,000 mileage motor to £4000 plus for a low mileage plus.

Parts wise motorfactors are the best place to get bits. The only issue ive had is getting old of brake pads and disc's. Theres many different pad shapes and discs on the front and the same on the rear.

You can see the car I have. The one you want, Lol.

They are a bit noisy (mine is anyway, road and engine)  but not many reliability issues at all. Not let me down yet, (touch wood).

I had the replacement flywheel (DMF) done at purchase date feb 2011 circa 110k with no issues on this since circa 125k now. The clutch was not changed.

The only other thing I have had to sort was a sticking rear calliper.

Other than new front discs and pads being fitted, it has just passed it's MOT with just an advisory on one tyre - so just consumables.

I would recommend the DSG (semi auto). So easy to drive.

+1 for the DSG, makes life easier. 

I have the 1.9 tdi and have done 6k miles in it. It is really efficient and drives well. The 2.0 tdi however is a bit quieter and does have the extra power. Either way, you will not be dissapointed.