"Automated" rear windscreen wiper...not

Riddle me this...

My Fabia MK3 has automated front windscreen wipers which work as you would expect.

However, in the dash menu, there's a tick box for "Automatic rear windscreen wiper". I have it ticked but it just doesn't do *anything*! I have the front windscreen wipers always set to the automatic setting.

- If the rear wiper is turned off, (the front ones on auto) the rear one isn't activated, conversely;

- If the rear wiper is set to on but it's not raining (still with the front ones on auto), it constantly wipes a dry rear screen!

So the question is, what the hell is the "Automatic rear windscreen wiper" option for in the dash? NB all the manual says is it turns on the automatic rear windscreen wiper haha.

It's been bugging me for ages!

Edited by jonboyuk

Some cars switch on the rear wiper automatically if you have the front ones on, and you select reverse gear.  Could it be that ?

Splooter's right, it clears the rear screen when reverse is selected if the front wipers are switched to on.

• Like 1

Ahhhhhhh thanks guys. Makes sense. I think the manual should make this more clear!

Agree. The Manual is a mite vague on some topics.

Thanks for this answer,I didn't realise the front wipers had to be on for it to work.