Text message dictation

Guys, 

Apologies for what is probably going to be a stupid question but...........

Picked up my new(ish) 65 plate Mk3 VRS with Amundsen (or however its spelt) ICE, I'm pretty happy with the voice commands on everything apart from the texts. I can get the car to read them when I press the button but can I:

a. Get it to read them automatically?

b. Dictate a message and get the car to send it?

I haven't got the smart link enabled yet and I'm using a Galaxy S6, I didnt think I was that much of a technobiffer but this has me beat? Or is the only way to enable Smartlink?

Really appreciate any helpful tips.

Mark

I think this could be handset dependant.

My Nokia Lumia and Columbus do this automatically - a text arrives, it gives me the option to read it or ignore it. If I read it, it reads it out (obviously), then I get the option to reply or finished. If I reply, I dictate the text then ask the option to send.

• Like 1

I've always thought this would be an interesting way to kill yourself.....you'd dictate the message, and then have to read it back - to make sure that it got it right - whilst neatly wrapping the car round a lamp-post.

If it's *that* important, apparently there's a "make a call" function on these smartphone thingys. ;) ;) ;)

I've always thought this would be an interesting way to kill yourself.....you'd dictate the message, and then have to read it back - to make sure that it got it right - whilst neatly wrapping the car round a lamp-post.

If it's *that* important, apparently there's a "make a call" function on these smartphone thingys. ;) ;) ;)

you don't *read* it, the car speaks it to you. You don't take your eyes off the road or your hands off the control. it's no different to talkign to a passenger. 

I'm not sure it's dependent on smartlink either as my head unti does it when the phone isn't plugged in to smart link.  Mine's a Motorola X Play so the S6 should do it just fine. 

So, you dictate the reply, it speaks it back to you. How do you correct errors? (Voice recognition is still not there yet)

It seems to be able to handle Scottish accents just fine. Occasionally it misinterprets but it offers you the chance to correct before sending. I just say it again slightly more slowly. Voice recognition is very very good. Even handles complex sounds like Drumnadrochit (I know as I used that in a text this week)

Sent from my XT1562 using Tapatalk

It seems to be able to handle Scottish accents just fine. Occasionally it misinterprets but it offers you the chance to correct before sending. I just say it again slightly more slowly. Voice recognition is very very good. Even handles complex sounds like Drumnadrochit (I know as I used that in a text this week)

Sent from my XT1562 using Tapatalk

Coops/Domhnall, next time your in your car can you look at the text typing screen for me and tell me if you have a mike/voice button. I cant work this out for the life of me. I've even installed different keyboards to my phone to try and fix. 

Coops/Domhnall, next time your in your car can you look at the text typing screen for me and tell me if you have a mike/voice button. I cant work this out for the life of me. I've even installed different keyboards to my phone to try and fix. 

Will do. Will have a look when I go home later.

Definitely no voice command option in the text message typing screen:

WP_20160322_17_02_01_Pro.jpg

In my case, the fact that I can have text messages read back to me and then I can reply via speech is very much phone controlled (Nokia Lumia).

Definitely no voice command option in the text message typing screen:

WP_20160322_17_02_01_Pro.jpg

In my case, the fact that I can have text messages read back to me and then I can reply via speech is very much phone controlled (Nokia Lumia).

Cheers coops that the same screen I get

• 4 months later...