Climatronic a/c

Hi

Just need some advice on this. The a/c button seems to operate independant of the temp control. I mean, in auto with the button lit, however high i turn the temp it does not switch off and i can feel the a/c fighting the hot air. Conversely, if i switch it off and wind the temp to LO it doesn't switch on. Setting the temp to 20 in auto produces cold air which doesnt change irrespective of the internal temp,i.e. i dont think the climate control is working. Is this normal or a glitch? Had the car 5 months but not needed the heating until now (sel exec 190 estate).

Just a few guesses / comments:

- Having the AC in auto while heating: it is normal that the AC compressor turns on. It is not "fighting" the heating per se, it is dehumidifying.

- Turning off the AC and then turning down temp control: it is normal that the AC does not turn on. This is the "ECO" mode, cold setting simply means no hot coolant diverted into heater radiator.

- Setting the temp to 20C produces a steady stream of cold air, does not matter if gets too cold in the cabin: not normal. Could be faulty internal temp sensor or a computer glitch (set temps in F?!)

Ps: Please note that I do not own a Superb MK3 (yet...) Been through a bunch of cars though. Answered the original post because no one else did and wanted to keep hope alive for a more educated comment :)

• Like 1

Just a few guesses / comments:

- Having the AC in auto while heating: it is normal that the AC compressor turns on. It is not "fighting" the heating per se, it is dehumidifying.

- Turning off the AC and then turning down temp control: it is normal that the AC does not turn on. This is the "ECO" mode, cold setting simply means no hot coolant diverted into heater radiator.

- Setting the temp to 20C produces a steady stream of cold air, does not matter if gets too cold in the cabin: not normal. Could be faulty internal temp sensor or a computer glitch (set temps in F?!)

Ps: Please note that I do not own a Superb MK3 (yet...) Been through a bunch of cars though. Answered the original post because no one else did and wanted to keep hope alive for a more educated comment :)

Your understanding of exactly how full climate control works (irrespective of make/model) is excellent.

On the temperature 20C point, try doing 10 minutes of "flapperobics"; this often clears this sort of issue.

I find the AC a bit hyperactive with cold air to the face too, even when set to the 'light' profile in the Climatronic menu.  It tries too hard to compensate for sunlight in my opinion.  I just turn the temperature setting up a degree or two or close the face vents when it gets annoying.

Many thanks everyone. Clarification of the function is very useful and i also agree that the cold air through the face vents is a little vigorous and prone to over react tosunlight on the dash. I also have the fan setting on high which will exacerbate the problem. So, it's working as it should. I just need to play with temp vents and fan speed.

Thanks again

You can also switch off just the AC part of the climatronic which prevents the icy blast without disabling the Auto function. An improvement over the Mk.II "climate control" where turning AC off also disabled Auto, effectively switching everything to manual operation.

One disadvantage of turning off just the AC is that it can lead to misting of the windscreen.