realibilty of bjb pd engine.

hey folks im looking to buy a octy 2009 model 1.9 pd bjb engine code,manual transmision with 63000 kms on ode. just wanted to know about the realibilty of this engine and issues known to occur in bjb series engines? pls shed some light on this.

• Like 1

The VAG 1.9 PD engine is well documented globally for it's reliability and durability. Some will suggest that this is the best engine VAG have ever produced.

Sure, it is often called 'agricultural' in terms of it's noise and refinement and is mated with a five speed gearbox (rather than the 6 speed gearbox on the 2.0 litre engines).

The two most popular units that I am aware of are the BJB and the BKC. I stole this from an older thread (credit to Mike Holroyd)...

BJB (Euro 3), does not have cooling of exhaust gas recirculation. Manufactured from February 2004 to December 2010.

BKC (Euro 4), does have cooling of exhaust gas recirculation. Manufactured from August 2004 to May 2006.

Output statistics of both engines are the same. A DPF is not fitted to either engine which also improves reliability.

My only advice to guarantee longevity is regular oil changes (12 months / 10,000 miles) rather than the longlife / variable intervals (up to 2 years / 20,000 miles). Engine oil is the lifeblood of any engine and particularly the turbo.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Volkswagen_Group_diesel_engines

They are a very reliable engine and besides regular servicing shouldn't need anything. I think most of this comes from them being a relatively low power output and pretty un-stressed.

You may just need to check the cambelt interval for your country as it varies by climate.

In europe the recommendation is 4 years or 60,000 miles/96,000 km.

Refinement isn't the best but always found mine to be very smooth and quiet when driven sensibly. Power is surprising for only 105 bhp but I put this down to the PD engine's low down punch.

i have just bougt the car. its an octy 2 fl 1.9pd bjb engine with 65000kms on odo. refinment levels are good and performance is more then adequte for daily driving. engine noise is bit on higher side but i can live with it. now i wil be getting it serviced. wil get its engine flushed with stp oil. then put a mobil esp 5w30 synthetic oil in my octy. any special advices from u guys for the new car in my life on how to get it serviced and wht to get replaced?

just noticed today while driving asr light comes on with a cbime sound and it stays there. then i shut the engine , restart it and the light is gone. but again comes on whn i acclerate the car. wht can be wrong in here??? habe braked it hard to check the ABS system, it seems to be working fine , there was no skidding of brakes. pls help on this?

First of all engine oil flush is not recommended on this engine due to the design of the camshaft/injectors.

And the ASR light needs to have a fault code scan to see what's causing it.

First of all engine oil flush is not recommended on this engine due to the design of the camshaft/injectors.

And the ASR light needs to have a fault code scan to see what's causing it.

ok wont be getting egibe flushed then. will be visiting a garage soon to get it scanned. wil update here.

Yes, you need the fault code, find a garage with VAG-COM or VCDS...

http://www.briskoda.net/forums/forum/23-diagnostics-vcds/

Once you have the fault code you can cross reference it here...

http://wiki.ross-tech.com/wiki/index.php/Category:Fault_Codes

gave my car a nice wash and asr light has gone off now. everythng seems to be fine. only issue with me is im feelibg a bit more vibrations, may be it is bcoz im coming frm a 1.2 tdi cr vw polo. or msy be smethmg is wrong in my car. i cant say.

My BJB is close to 174,000 miles (280,000kms).  It has always been set to variable servicing and gets serviced once a year (annual mileage between 15-18,000 miles).  Oil used has been Quantum Longlife (VW507 spec).  First real engine issue has recently arisen which is a faulty EGR valve. It has never been removed to clean or replace so maybe its about due.

mine is a 2009 tdi model wid bjb engine manual transmission. whne in india, euro4 norms came vw group introduced the cr engines and discontinues the pd engines.

now comes.the engine part i have driven the car now for around a 1000kms the engine is enuff on power but the noise and refinememt levels are a bit low. but as long as engine is reliable i dont complaint and coming from a 1.2 3 cylinder tdi cr engine of vw polo this engone feels like a bomb to drive. pickup accelration is always on the tap. regardless of the gear ur in just tap the race and it lunges ahead. its an one hell of an eager engine to be revved and driven. low end torque and power is the highlight of this engine.

You are lucky - very, very lucky. The BJB is the best of the bunch, and if my 2004 BJB can be compared with the 2008 BXE (before it was remapped) the BJB was always the far more responsive engine of the two. When I sold it, the car had just on 70k miles (115k km) it was as sweet as a nut,

If my BXE ever goes bang, it might be worth looking at importing a newer BJB.............hmm, hoping I'll not bring bad luck in even suggesting that.........

Mike

and what i have expirienced wid this engine is tht it is rev friendly. drives like a turbine engine. i ve driven it 150kph maximum.

a very strange problem is creeping up in my car. the speedometre has stopped working. the needle rises til 25kph and then hangs. thn again it strts rising frm thr to 60kph thn stops. moreover the digital speed reading also does not show the correct speed. whn i doing around 110kph in fifth gear, the digital speed shws aroud 35-40mph. and sometimes when asr light comes on speedometre the digital speed reading gets right. it starts showing the exact speed im going on. dnt knw whts wrong. and whr it is wrong.

150kmh = 95mph approx. That engine is capable of a lot more than that with ease............

Indeed. I used to cruise at 100mph on the Autobahn in mine and maxed it out at 125mph.

Edited by Phil-E

• 7 months later...

Hey folks. Im reviving this thread again. With 7months  ownership exp of my octy 1.9 tdi. I have driven it for 26000kms. I got its cambelt changed got serviced it twice. Octy left me stranded twice on road ,once when slave cylinder faied and once master cylinder failed. Got both of thm replaced one by one. Now im thinking of getting the clutch and flywheel replaced as my cluth has become very hard. One more prob is thr with my car , there os lot of vibration in th cabin when the car is idle. At higjer speeds also vibrarion is there. COULD IT BE BECAUDE OF FLYWHEEL?? Pls shed some ligjt on this matter.

• 2 weeks later...