Petrol smell on fast 70mph drive

What did you try in order to diagnose the problem?

What do you suspect is causing the problem?

I am asking these questions because we are not wizards to guess what is the problem while you know the history of your car and you have full access to it. Do you call "1998 1300" enough information? Unless you want us to shoot meaningless in the dark because you didn't feel appropriate to share more data.

It is fuel injection basic model ,

a googling brought forth :

Check spark plug tightness

Go for fast run before checking for leaks before it evaporates

maybe leaking injector seals

of course fuel line tubing

Inlet manifold gasket, engine starts and idles OK

Fuel tank cap gasket

Fuel tank inlet pipe

Fuel tank breather.

Start with spark plugs tomorrow :)

Now where did I last see that Fire extinguisher I ask myself before a BIG BANG :)

Edited by iansmith
More thoughts.

Felicia is a reliable car in general. The most common cause for technical issues is the age of the car. This translates into corrosion of body parts, corrosion of connectors and wiring, and aging of various seals and gaskets.

Petrol smell => Leak somewhere => Bad seal/gasket/hose/line. Start looking under the rear seat for visual signs of leaks around the gasket of the fuel pump assembly. Follow the fuel lines up to injectors.

Let's not forget also that unburnt exhaust gases smell like petrol too. I would check the tightness of the exhaust manifold, exhaust pipes, and exhaust gaskets. One other thing, a bad gasket of the rear lid could 'help' drawing exhaust gases inside the cabin at high speed.

• Like 1