Just bought a Superb, wanting to say hello.

Gdcobra

Hi all, just got myself a Skoda Superb, not sure I've made the right decision yet as it's a bit of a departure from my previous car but hoping it will grow on me. So just like to say hello all.

• Like 1

Hi Jed, thanks for the welcome, I'm coming off the back of a VW Golf R so obviously this car is quite different in size and style. This car is a bit "songy" by comparison. This is both good and bad. The steering feels somewhat vague and the car a bit "lurchy" but on the plus side my fillings don't pop out every time I go over one of the few potholes we have on our roads.

It also won't connect to my iPhone, I'm putting this down to the BT technology being from different eras. The car is a 2008, the phone last year but I thought BT was supposed to be a standard.  Need to find out if I can upgrade the BT in the car or if there is some other way to attach the phone, this is a must for me.

I see where your coming from phone's i know little about done a bit of modding in my day missus calling my car's  go cart's the bone's won't take it any more the yeti is the only car iv'e had i say to myself i don't need to do any thing too .:)

Welcome along!  Check out the Superb II forum as the BT issue hasn't raised before.  It'd possible that the module may not be fitted as it's a very early model.  Hope you get sorted.

Thanks for the welcome S170.  I went onto the Superb II forum Saturday morning and top of the pile was a thread from way back regarding BT connectivity which seems to relate exactly to the issue I'm having.  Although I have BT module it looks like I need a later one.

Managed to spend some time with the car over the weekend, first thing I found was that all the tyres were low on pressure, around 1.8/1.9 bar instead of 2.4/2.5.  I pumped up and now the car is much less 'spongy' and steering less vague.  Still no Golf R but it's unfair to expect that. 

This car is an Elegance spec' but has been fitted with 16" wheels.  I have mixed feelings about this.  I like my cars to be standard so obviously should have 18" Themisto wheels which would make the car a bit stiffer and a bit sharper steering I expect BUT I do like the fact that I don't have to dodge every pothole or slight road imperfection for risk of shattering my spine.  The tyres are almost new and I'm not looking to spend money on it at the moment so the 16's will be staying for a while at least and I better just get over it.

I'll also be looking to upgrade the Columbus firmware and maps.  I think it will be best to have the latest possible firmware for the BT module upgrade and latest maps probably also worthwhile, although I'll probably be using my phone for the nav'.  I found some info and links on this elsewhere on the site.

Must say I'm really impressed with this forum, seems a friendly and informative place (all down to the people contributing of course), I hope to be able to contribute myself when I'm a bit more familiar with the car.

• Like 1

Glad you're finding the site helpful.  It's a really great resource and probably the best car forum out there.  Re the wheels, yes, 18s would have been standard fit (for the UK).  I've had both 17s and 18s on two MkII had and the 18s were harsh until I deviated a little from factory spec and put on a higher sidewall (223/18/45 instead of the usual 225/18/40).  Personally I would try get some 17" wheels as they offer the best all round in terms of appearance, performance and comfort.

On 10/04/2017 at 07:50, Gdcobra said:

This car is an Elegance spec' but has been fitted with 16" wheels.  I have mixed feelings about this.  I like my cars to be standard so obviously should have 18" Themisto wheels which would make the car a bit stiffer and a bit sharper steering I expect BUT I do like the fact that I don't have to dodge every pothole or slight road imperfection for risk of shattering my spine.  The tyres are almost new and I'm not looking to spend money on it at the moment so the 16's will be staying for a while at least and I better just get over it.

Yeah better to stick with 16'' wheels due to the state of our roads LOL