Remote won't unlock car but will lock after car battery disconnection

Hi 

For anyone who saw my recent last post about the gearbox - total mess, gear bearings had gone and were doing an impression of a tumble dryer full of pig iron. The rest of the box was trashed accordingly (it's in the boot if anyone wants pictures!). Total rebuild, all new internals, bell-housing welding repair, box out and in - £750. Decent price, feels like a great job done and with 12 months warranty. Happy to pass the contact details if anyone needs a top manual gearbox man in Nottingham. 

However ... there's always a 'however' ... I've now got central locking problems. Looked all over the internet for advice and nothing worked so far. It seems that safe-locking has activated (?), because as soon as I turn the ignition all the doors lock instantly and the lock light on the centre console turns on. What won't work is trying to unlock from the remote control (it still locks the whole car and still unlocks the boot remotely, and the key itself unlocks the car). I've changed the remote battery, tried various fixes like sitting in the car and using the central locking button 8-10 times but no joy. I've only ever had one key so can't attempt the two key solution. Does anyone have any ideas or is it a dealership waste of money for a 2 minute fix? Or does anyone know anyone in the Nottingham area that has the appropriate wizardry to fix it? The main battery has been disconnected during repairs, which I think has caused the problems rather than the 3rd button on the remote itself being the issue - it worked fine before going in for the repairs. 

Any help greatly appreciated, after shelling out £750 I really haven't got any cash to spend at Skoda's. Thanks all. 

Edited by Sammy Craig

As far as I am aware the safe locking doesn't usually activate until the car has been driven a short distance, rather than "instantly" as you describe.

Is the remote fob in good condition??? No crap gotten inside it?

Does the switch in the centre console work properly.........Does this switch unlock the doors without the car locking automatically immediately after unlocking???

Hi Tilt, thanks for your response. The fob is fine, everything was working before it went in for a new gearbox and the battery was off for a while. The centre console switch works normally if I use it before turning the engine on (i.e., first turn of the ignition so everything is on but before firing the engine). It's at the point that the engine is turned that the car locks and the centre console orange lock light on the switch comes on. 

Cheers

Sammy

If the centre console switch works (locks and unlocks properly) without the key in the ignition at all, then that answers that question.

After the engine is started and the car locks itself - does the centre console button unlock the vehicle?

or - what happens when you try to unlock using this switch?

It is possible there may be a problem with the remote as I have just sorted my mates Zafira remote.

I think you will have to get the car scanned though for faults using VCDS.

Have you spoken (politely) to the garage that did the work, asked if they had any issues with it locking / unlocking?

• Like 1

I'm always polite!

It's sorted itself out. Went to the car yesterday and pressed the remote to unlock out of habit and it just worked! Checked everything a few times, still ok, and was fine this morning too. Feeling a bit lucky after the bad luck with the box. Thanks very much for the suggestions. 

Cheers 

Sammy