Gearbox scuffing and grinding noise Fabia MK1 1.9tdi Elegance

I had been experiencing a scuffing/low grinding noise from the gearbox (audible from the passenger footwell) on my late 2004 Fabia Mk1 1.9tdi Elegance (56000 miles) on acceleration and deceleration, especially at low speeds and in all gears. I had the gearbox rebuilt with a complete set of new bearings (including the diff bearings) and complete new clutch and thrust bearing.  The gearbox was put back in......... and much to my annoyance and reduced bank balance, the noise was still there! 

I then jacked the car up and checked all the other components such as wheel bearings, budget tyre noise, driveshafts, exhaust, exhaust tunnel shroud, rusty brake discs, brake disc guards any other loose parts that may vibrate or create noise. All of these were found to be Ok/secure using the usual methods for checking.

The noise was starting to annoy, and I was sure it was the gearbox despite the fact that it had been rebuilt with all new bearings, so I had the gearbox rebuilt again under the warranty given by the gearbox rebuilder.  This time the complete gearbox casing was changed and also the differential from another sourced box. 

The result? A very quiet and smooth gearbox that has now made the car a pleasure to drive!!!

Although I'm not entirely sure, I believe the gearbox had this fault from new, possibly in the casing itself or the differential- Maybe it was a 'Friday Box'?!!

Thought I would share this as I couldn't find anything on the internet relating to a scuffing noise from gearbox. 

The gearbox was a 5 speed VW type 'GGU'