Oily Residue in The Wheelwell

Last week whilst carrying out the annual interior deep clean I found an oily brown residue in the Wheelwell. The only thing I keep in there is the spare wheel and the tyre gunk and that still has its seal intact and is kept in two sealed bags. The spare wheel still looks brand new, even though it has been in there since the first day of ownership. 

There is no fluid lying on the bottom and the rear screen wash appears to be functioning correctly. 

Over and above the annual interior deep clean, I also clean out the wheel well every few months to ensure no screen wash is leaking in there.

In seven years of ownership this is the first time I have seen this there. 

I was able to wipe it off, but was just wondering what it could be.

Screenshot_20170729-011554.png

Screenshot_20170729-011549.png

Is that 'D' shaped outline with the lines of dashes cut in it some sort of sound deadening material stuck to the floor pan?  The stain could be the adhesive used to stick it to the floor weeping through the paint.  Not a serious problem, I would have thought.  A quick spray of silver paint ought to cover it.

I'd say you've had something that leaked in the boot, doesn't need to be much.

Warm weather/hot boot causes the liquid to evaporate and if the car isn't running with ventilation to clear it, it condenses back into liquid in the relatively cool spare wheel well, the colouration being picked up from dust etc.

That's my theory as it happened to me.