advise neede for new vrs owner please

hi all 

i have bought an ex police  octavia vrs 2012 ,really impressed with it so far

it had no roof aerial but dealer fitted a new single one

i have the bolero sat nav radio but didnt have the code so wasnt working 

have been to skoda today who coded the sterio for me ,now the sterio works fine and i can get up the sat nav map but it appears to be stuck on a manchester map it wont recognise that i am in gloucester,skoda tech said i needed the correct shark fin /stubby aerial ,but i have read on here that one of the aerials is in the rear demister 

getting confused now and really wanting the nav to work 

any advise on what to do next would be great 

thanks for looking 

I used to have a MK2 Octy.

The rear window has a conductive strip for the DAB diversity antenna but this doesn't feed into the GPS AFAIK. For that you need the shark fin, or alternatively some other arrangement. 

Edited by TDIum

Pretty simple to fit one under the dash. This is what 99% of us who ever retrofitted one into the Mk2 did. If you pop out the top dash cubby hole (air vents included just pops out from bottom) you can see down into the dash there is a metal rail just stick antenna on there and plus into back of the Columbus and job done. Works perfect under the dash as it's only a layer of plastic above it nothing else, some fitted them ontop of dash with is a lot more awkward and looks really poor, with absolutely no need! I drove all over Europe for a few years with mine and it never missed a beat. 

This sort of thing cheap as chips and comes with the correct plug for the Columbus(RNS510) - LINK------->>>>>>> GPS ANTENNA EBAY

To get to back of the head unit to plug it in you will prob need to remove it. The trim around it again just pops out (start from bottom above lower cubby hole in front of gear stick) then 4 torx screws hold the head unit in, undo these and slide it out just plug GPS antenna in as is and put it back in place. 

remove head unit:

In this video you see at 5:10 the guy putting in the same GPS antenna but a bit more awkward without just popping out the top cubby hole so you can see better (use some double sided stuff.

Edited by FUBAR
  • Like 1

many thanks guys 

have sorted it now as was original spec when new 

realised the muppets (i mean sales man) just stuck a standard aerial in as  there was just a hole in the roof when i viewed it 

i bought a new shark fin type and fitted it ,works a treat now 

thanks