Octavia mk2 buying help

Apologies if this is a regular topic, I've had a quick browse and can't see anything. I'm viewing for the second time a 2010 Octavia 4x4 estate with the 2.0 CR diesel engine on Wednesday. Is there any exceptionally common problem areas to look for? I have viewed it once already and all seems well. Very well looked after and it drove great. Any advice appreciated. 

The Octavia is a very solid car but like any other car they do have common issues. I can't comment on the 4 x 4 mechanicals as I've never owned one but I have owned two pd vrs's.

The a/c system is very poor. Compressor failures is all too common. Condensers are prone to picking up stone holes too so check if it's blowing cold. Whistling turbos could be a sign of it starting to fail. However, my first vrs had a slight whistle and the car is still running fine two years after I sold it. Some do it some don't so it depends how loud it is. 

Check all is well with the dpf too. I know the cr engines were a lot better to the dpf than the earlier pd diesels but they still had issues if a lot of short journeys were made.

Dual mass fly wheels were known to fail prematurely too. If it's failing you'll either hear a rattle or an uneven idle. 

Suspension knocks will likely be worn console bushes also very common although not too expensive to sort.

Snapped springs/weeping shocks maybe worth a check too. Uneven tyre wear will most likely be a sign the geometry/tracking needs doing. 

Two of the Octavias I bought needed the rubber bump stops replaced as the old ones perish and break up. Again, not expensive to do but a good bargaining tool.

Despite its faults the Octavia is still a brilliant second hand purchase imho. Good luck!!

Edited by meaty101

I had a Fabia Mk II that was 6.5 years old & now I own an Octavia that was 5 years when bought. Both cars have given me steering alignment issues. Could be coincidence it has happened to me, but I know someone else who had the same issue with their Octavia. Having owned different brands of car in the past, the Skodas are the only ones to give me this issue fairly regularly. If you were to take it on a test drive, make sure the steering is ok. If not, then walk away. 

16 hours ago, sleeper77 said:

I had a Fabia Mk II that was 6.5 years old & now I own an Octavia that was 5 years when bought. Both cars have given me steering alignment issues. Could be coincidence it has happened to me, but I know someone else who had the same issue with their Octavia. Having owned different brands of car in the past, the Skodas are the only ones to give me this issue fairly regularly. If you were to take it on a test drive, make sure the steering is ok. If not, then walk away. 

The alignment issue as you mention has been discussed on here a lot. It's a problem from the factory iirc. My current Octavia is 10 years old now bought from the original owner last year. The rear tyres were nearly new in the centre but the edges were completely gone. And it sounded like a wheel bearing was rumbling. A new set of tyres and a full geometry adjustment has sorted the car. My previous car ( Seat Leon fr ) was exactly the same. The alignment was miles out. That car had only done 50k miles. 

Thanks for the information. When I kept on taking my car back to the garage to have the alignment checked again even though they did it previously, I am sure the mechanics thought I was losing the plot. However, I explained to them that I only had this issue with Skodas & no other make. 

@SkodaSean Don't let this put you off. Just some advice if you don't want to go through the same troubles as me ,in case you do find the steering is not what it should be.