Gearbox HELP!!!!!1

Hi all 

im after some help I have a 1.8t with a shark performance stage 2 remap running about 250bhp! the problem I am having is I seem to keep breaking 02J gearboxes it is never the same problem either first time I lost 1st gear the second time I lost 3rd gear the third time the shaft come out the side of the gearbox so I got a second hand gearbox had that reconditioned and not even a 1000 miles later it started knocking really bad.. so I bought another second hand gearbox and fitted it without being reconditioned and now something around the diff area has exploded out the side..

after speaking to a few people I'm being told to fit a 02M gearbox has anyone ever done this and is it really worth me doing or is there not anything I can do to an 02J to uprate it in anyway!!!! or is the 02M is the way to go?? if it is the only option  can anyone point me in the direction of where to start please!!!

thanks guys 

Daniel 

It's not so much the bhp that kills the boxes its the torque that is produced along with it. The O2J box is renowned for not taking the higher torque figures with mapping. You can go down the route of an O2M complete change, which will be from an LCR and consist of, flywheel, clutch (I'd go new), slave cylinder (also new), gearbox complete with mounting section on it (you can use the top section from 5 speed), drive shafts, starter, PAS pipe, clutch hydraulic line from master, gear change cable mounting plate, and 6 speed gear knob. The other option is to go for an LSD and ARP bolts another O2J box. The choice is really up to you and budget, as O2m conversion you can get for around £250 in parts and O2J LSD and ARP bolts around £1000 maybe more.

8 minutes ago, 00000000000000 said:

It's not so much the bhp that kills the boxes its the torque that is produced along with it. The O2J box is renowned for not taking the higher torque figures with mapping. You can go down the route of an O2M complete change, which will be from an LCR and consist of, flywheel, clutch (I'd go new), slave cylinder (also new), gearbox complete with mounting section on it (you can use the top section from 5 speed), drive shafts, starter, PAS pipe, clutch hydraulic line from master, gear change cable mounting plate, and 6 speed gear knob. The other option is to go for an LSD and ARP bolts another O2J box. The choice is really up to you and budget, as O2m conversion you can get for around £250 in parts and O2J LSD and ARP bolts around £1000 maybe more.

thanks that is the information I'm after!! money really isn't an issue the annoying thing is ive spent nearly 3 grand on 02J gearboxes I'm a bit worried to spend any more and having more problems so I'm guessing the 02M is the way to go! I don't suppose you have a reg I could use to get all the parts I need as I would rather buy most of it all brand new and the first thing they ask for is a reg for parts 

thanks 

Daniel 

Just now, Dans..vrs....octavia said:

thanks that is the information I'm after!! money really isn't an issue the annoying thing is ive spent nearly 3 grand on 02J gearboxes I'm a bit worried to spend any more and having more problems so I'm guessing the 02M is the way to go! I don't suppose you have a reg I could use to get all the parts I need as I would rather buy most of it all brand new and the first thing they ask for is a reg for parts 

thanks 

Daniel 

Easier to buy an LCR that's got a blown engine and way to go, there's quite a few cheap ones out there.