Our Mk1 vRS Estate

Max M4X WW

This is shamelessly re-posted from PistonHeads, but thought it may be of interest on here!

My wife has been running 2k 'daily' cars for a few years and more recently has leased a couple of very cheap (~£120pm) Citroen Cactus' for a few years. Last year we decided to go back to the 2k car game after the second lease car went back.

The brief was sub 2k, estate (house renovation in progress), petrol, probably VAG, likely 1.8T and good history. We were looking at B5 A4's, Passats, C5 A6's and I one day remembered about the Mk1 vRS Estate. One popped up locally with a good story and I literally rang the seller about 10 times and sent a couple of emails without response - finally we got through and learnt that his grandchildren had broken his phone. We viewed, drove, left a deposit and collected the car a couple of days later.

The main headlines were: 2003, 120k miles, 1.8T 20v, Reasonably FSH, Recent bills totalling £1.5k (including clutch, bushes, tyres, remap, air filter etc)

Since buying I have only washed it, changed the brakes (since these photos), fitted OEM xenon headlights, new plates and changed the badges for the newer style ones. I also fitted solid gear linkage bushings and that is about it. I have a few other minor changes planned but otherwise, it needs an oil change which I plan to do soon.

A few photos, making it look remarkably clean (it isn't, with marks on every panel but looks OK from 10ft!)

1.jpg

2.jpg

3.jpg

4.jpg

5.jpg

6.jpg

7.jpg

Overall, we love the car. It does about 35mpg, made 200bhp at Surrey Rolling Road, makes some good turbo noises (with the open cone filter) and generally looks rather unassuming. The interior is nice enough, not much in the way of soft-touch plastics but it is fairly solid.

Thanks for reading.

Edited by Max M4X WW
  • Like 2