Another rear door that won't open!!!

BEN99W

Hi All

My roomster nearside rear door suddenly refused to unlock. Won't open from inside or outside, won't unlock with the keyfob or the internal switch by the gearlever.

Ive read all the posts I can find on this and it seems to be a common issue. Most people seem to resolve it by thumping the door and spraying lots of WD40. This hasn't worked for me. I've got the door card off and Ive bought a used replacement unit, but I can't get the door open to remove the lock. I've been at it for days. Also this issue reared its head the day before the MOT expired so now can't use the car until its fixed as this is an MOT failure point  apparently.

It appears my door is deadlocked, because the red plastic mechanism on the top of the lock unit which can be freely moved from a locked position to an unlocked position on my used unit always springs back to its locked position on the one in my door when moved by hand.

This definitely isn't an electrical issue because I can plug the used one into the wiring loom and it operates as it should. Plus I could hear the lock trying to do something originally, although it's making less noise now, possibly none.

Anyway, some people have alluded to smashing the lock unit out with a chisel to remove it. Is this really going to work? I fear that once I go down this route, if the door can't actually be unlocked this way, then I'll effectively be writing the car off.   

Any help gratefully received.

Ben 

OK I finally managed to get my door open and swap out the problem lock. I used the method suggested here:

Which did the trick. In fact the old lock now appears to  function flawlessly once the gearwheel had been manually run to its extremes, so Ill keep it for spares. Presumably a bit of debris had got somewhere it shouldn't causing a jam. 

This process is actually pretty straight forward and Id say better than any of the WD40/hammer/thumping on door suggestions that clutter youtube.

Cheers

Ben

• Like 1