Engine light flashing after hard acceleration

Hi guys I have a mk2 vrs and have engine light flashing after booting it past 3000rpm also feels like it's misfiring then the power eventually comes through? Anyone had the same issues if so what could be the cause?

Had it been a diesel I'd have gone for the turbo and or it's actuator.

As its petrol I'm thinking a dodgy coil pack.

Each time the EML illuminates a fault code will be logged. Do you have access to a diagnostic tool? Carista, OBD11, VCDS, VAG-COM etc?

Once you get the fault code find the fix here...

http://wiki.ross-tech.com/wiki/index.php/Category:Fault_Codes

7 minutes ago, silver1011 said:

Had it been a diesel I'd have gone for the turbo and or it's actuator.

As its petrol I'm thinking a dodgy coil pack.

Each time the EML illuminates a fault code will be logged. Do you have access to a diagnostic tool? Carista, OBD11, VCDS, VAG-COM etc?

Once you get the fault code find the fix here...

http://wiki.ross-tech.com/wiki/index.php/Category:Fault_Codes

I don't have a diagnostic tool but just had a fuel pump replaced at a vag garage so thought it might of been something to do with that but will have to get it diagnosed. Thanks for the info 👍

4 minutes ago, silver1011 said:

In that case it could well be fuel starvation?

How long ago was the fuel pump replaced? Might be worth popping back to the garage to understand if this new issue is related?

Only replaced today but yeah I thought the same so will be taking it back there tomorrow 👍

• Like 1

What was the outcome?

My initial thoughts were a coil pack breaking down and unable to cope under load. 

I had the same symptoms in my BMW but it took ages for it to store a code after it did it numerous times but was fine after turning off and re starting the engine. Eventually the misfire on cylinder x code came up, so I knew which coil pack to change. I knew it was one at fault but not which one!

Kirkynut 

• 3 weeks later...