Replacement Aftermarket Bolero Radio Recommendation

DaveNorthey

Hi.

I'm looking to replace the Bolero radio in my 2013 Yeti for something that supports Android Auto - and am looking for a recommendation.

It needs to continue to support the steering wheel controls for both the phone and the radio.

And is ideally end user (me) replaceable.

Thanks

Dave

• 3 months later...

I'm in the same boat as yourself Dave, mine's a 2012 car & 2 years ago I fitted a Kenwood DMX7017DABS head unit in my Abarth 500. As an Android Auto unit it was great with a nice display that is very good for Google Maps even in Satellite mode, really good sound quality & the steering wheel controls all worked. I've been thinking of fitting one to the Yeti too however, I haven't yet because it won't support the reversing sensor display (although this can be programmed to display on the DIS screen instead). However it also won't display the HVAC information & the automatic volume speed adjustment won't work either, hence I've still not taken the plunge. Including a really good roof mounted replacement dual feed DAB/VHF aerial (can't stand the stick-on windscreen DAB aerials) you'd fit this system to a Yeti for about £450. Although you'd never know driving the car, an OBD reader will probably log HVAC & instrumentation faults due to the CANBUS not being able to communicate with the stereo properly as mentioned. That's about half the price of the official VAG replacement Kenwood DNX5018VDABS head unit that will support all the original vehicle functionality as well as having stand-alone nav without your phone connected. However I can't really see why you'd need that as I'm surgically attached to my phone so always carry it & when it's plugged in, it's also constantly charged. I've also looked at several cheap supposed vehicle specific units, but reliability & sound quality  worries have prevented me going there too. So, half an answer I suppose, but hopefully someone will come to our rescue with a miraculous solution very soon! Cheers Adrian

The DMX7017DABS is a standard double DIN sized unit, & it's very shallow as there's no CD/DVD drive in it so there'll be loads of room behind it for the wiring etc. However as it's just a square fronted unit you'll need a facia adaptor as made by the likes of Connects2 etc. to restore the dash's appearance. The few facia adaptors I've used on different cars have been fairly good quality & look pretty well OEM once fitted. Although I haven't got as far as measuring it yet, I don't think the DNX5018DABS will need such a facia adaptor as I believe it's the exact size & shape as the Bolero unit, so should physically be a straight swap but as I say I'd double check this carefully first.