PCH advice for handover

I’ve interpreted the question as Collection Of New Car.

Don’t let the excitement stop you giving the car a thorough once over.

Scratches on the bodywork and wheels are the obvious one. But seats and trim inside too.

Check any added extras are present and working.

In fact, check that everything is working. You’d be surprised that some don’t.

Tyre pressures may still be set at transit level.  Possibly even spring blocks.

Check in boot for locking wheel bolt key. And tweezers to remove bolt caps.

Spare wheel and jack if you’re getting one.

Handbook.

Tell them to stick on the number plates. Straight would be good.

A new apprentice must have drilled my new number plates. An atrocious job of butchering the plates with a drill. Luckily I’ll be sticking the new plates on soon.

Etc.

Etc.

Etc.

Edited by BoxerBoy

Assuming you don't live too far from your dealer, I think damage is the thing to check for, as once you've driven the car away from the dealer, they can claim that nothing was damaged when you picked the car up.

Try not to see the car through rose coloured spectacles as it's very easy to miss things when you do. I bought a not very old, used car once and it wasn't until  I got it home that I realised it had different coloured bumpers 😏.

Also, assuming you have a decent dealer, anything that you discover isn't working once you get home should get rectified under guarantee with no fuss.

A good idea is to meet a friend (suitably socially distanced) at the dealers when collecting the car. An extra pair of eyes not attached to collecting the car, often sees things you’d miss in the excitement.

On 19/05/2020 at 16:32, BoxerBoy said:

I’ve interpreted the question as Collection Of New Car.

Don’t let the excitement stop you giving the car a thorough once over.

Scratches on the bodywork and wheels are the obvious one. But seats and trim inside too.

Check any added extras are present and working.

In fact, check that everything is working. You’d be surprised that some don’t.

Tyre pressures may still be set at transit level.  Possibly even spring blocks.

Check in boot for locking wheel bolt key. And tweezers to remove bolt caps.

Spare wheel and jack if you’re getting one.

Handbook.

Tell them to stick on the number plates. Straight would be good.

A new apprentice must have drilled my new number plates. An atrocious job of butchering the plates with a drill. Luckily I’ll be sticking the new plates on soon.

Etc.

Etc.

Etc.

Sorry I meant handover of my old car to the leasing company :) 

2 hours ago, Montozuma said:

Sorry I meant handover of my old car to the leasing company :)

Ah!  At the other end of the process.

My old car has been sitting at my door for 8 weeks since the contract expired waiting for collection.

In simple terms, the car you're handing back should be as clean as possible, so that whether you take it to the dealer or the dealer comes to you - as in my case - the car will make a good impression.

There is a well defined list of things that will be inspected.  Any damage will be charged at a pretty hefty price, e.g. scratches and scuffed alloys.

The only "defect" on my car is an "Inspection Service message that would have been cleared at the dealer in March, but they shut the shop.

My collection is booked for 1 June so I will give the car a final wash the day before as it will have been unused for 10 weeks.

• Thanks 1

28 minutes ago, BoxerBoy said:

Ah!  At the other end of the process.

My old car has been sitting at my door for 8 weeks since the contract expired waiting for collection.

In simple terms, the car you're handing back should be as clean as possible, so that whether you take it to the dealer or the dealer comes to you - as in my case - the car will make a good impression.

There is a well defined list of things that will be inspected.  Any damage will be charged at a pretty hefty price, e.g. scratches and scuffed alloys.

The only "defect" on my car is an "Inspection Service message that would have been cleared at the dealer in March, but they shut the shop.

My collection is booked for 1 June so I will give the car a final wash the day before as it will have been unused for 10 weeks.

Thanks. I am on the same boat :) no warning lights but only few minor cosmetic scratches etc. I am now waiting for them to collect my old one.

I am also due to pick my new one but have slight issue as I am not sure how the WLPT would work for me as I could collect in March coz C19. There was a possibility the dealer didn't seem to be bothered much 😕

Edited by Montozuma

This is very all very interesting in the current climate and goes back to something I said when people were talking about the PCP lease ending during lockdown.

Montozuma - If I were in your position the first thing I would have made sure to do was not leave the car on my property. I'd then be claiming there were no scratches on the car when the lease ended.

WLTP - I assume you're talking about the changes in taxation after 1st April?  I would have thought tax would be calculated at the time when the car was registered as opposed to when you take delivery.

Edited by Guest

On 23/05/2020 at 19:55, Scot5 said:

This is very all very interesting in the current climate and goes back to something I said when people were talking about the PCP lease ending during lockdown.

Montozuma - If I were in your position the first thing I would have made sure to do was not leave the car on my property. I'd then be claiming there were no scratches on the car when the lease ended.

WLTP - I assume you're talking about the changes in taxation after 1st April?  I would have thought tax would be calculated at the time when the car was registered as opposed to when you take delivery.

Indeed it is.  My dealer had been smart enough in February to let me know that he’d register the new car on 31 March, and not 6 April to match outgoing car, to beat the tax increase. Then suddenly on the morning of 24 March he called to say he was going to register it and deliver it to me in a couple of hours. 

Edited by BoxerBoy

3 hours ago, BoxerBoy said:

Indeed it is.  My dealer had been smart enough in February to let me know that he’d register the new car on 31 March, and not 6 April to match outgoing car, to beat the tax increase. Then suddenly on the morning of 24 March he called to say he was going to register it and deliver it to me in a a couple of hours. 

Finger crossed thats what they've done. Do you know what the registration was going to be? If so then as long as DVLA have updated their records, you should be able to see if it's registered. 

https://www.check-mot.service.gov.uk/

From memory I think it took several weeks for my car to appear on the website so if yours was registered 24 March then hopefully it'll be there.

On 24/05/2020 at 18:03, Scot5 said:

Finger crossed thats what they've done. Do you know what the registration was going to be? If so then as long as DVLA have updated their records, you should be able to see if it's registered. 

https://www.check-mot.service.gov.uk/

From memory I think it took several weeks for my car to appear on the website so if yours was registered 24 March then hopefully it'll be there.

I received notification of the new registration on 11 March on the contract documentation.

Dealers must preplan car registrations on a pre-allocated list from DVLA.

The actual registration was done on 24 March.

as an aside - the dealer knew I would be assigning my private plate so he included a pair of extra private plates in the boot on delivery. Thinking he’d get his logo displayed for 3 years. Too bad for him as I have my own choice of plates waiting to be stuck on.