MK 3 Octavia VRS TDI

Scubaladdie

Hi guys, new here :) Happy New Year to everyone.

Right, I live near Edinburgh but commute to the top of Scotland and back every week for work, a mix of A-roads / dual carriageways ( the A9 ) and tight twisty country roads.

I previously had a 2004 VW Passat 1.9 TDI PD which did over 300k trouble free miles ( I bought it with 132k miles and never even had to change a clutch or anything ). Sadly the bodywork dissolved spectacularly.

I then bought a 2007 VW Golf 2.0 TDI with 110k miles and FSH which has been the worst car I've ever owned. Now at 159k miles. New gearbox, 2x clutches !! , 2x sets rear shocks, countless electrical problems, uses more oil than fuel etc etc.

Looking at getting a 2015 / 16 Octavia TDI and I really like the VRS.

But a few questions: 

Are they reliable? I get my cars serviced meticulously as evidenced by the mileage my B5 Passat did.

Also realistically what MPG should I expect?

I've read 60+ but expect that to be very unlikely!

My Passat seemed to average around 45mpg, the Golf around 47mpg although about 55mpg on a long motorway run.

I'd be going for the 6-speed manual.

Sorry for the long post :)

Had my 2015 vrs tdi since august, long distance I get about 50-55mpg, most I’ve seen is about 58mpg but that was really going steady due to slow moving traffic. Reliability wise I had to replace a glow plug. I previously had a 2010 Leon cr170 so similar engine, that was on 66k and I did 50k miles over 2 years in it, only reliability issue I had was the secondary coolant pump failed other that that it gave me no problems