Key not detected - engine won't crank or fire.

iamian

2018 Fabia Estate SE L
Two days ago I got a "replace battery in key" warning and today key is totally dead. It will not unlock the car. 

I can unlock the O/S door manually but get "no key detected" error and engine won't crank when I press the starter button.

The other key works fine but as we share the car we need both keys. 

Is it just a case or replacing the CR2032 cell in the keyfob or does it point to a more fundamental problem?   

1 hour ago, iamian said:

2018 Fabia Estate SE L
Two days ago I got a "replace battery in key" warning and today key is totally dead. It will not unlock the car. 

I can unlock the O/S door manually but get "no key detected" error and engine won't crank when I press the starter button.

The other key works fine but as we share the car we need both keys. 

Is it just a case or replacing the CR2032 cell in the keyfob or does it point to a more fundamental problem?   

Press the starter button with the key itself. There's an RFID module in the button and the key that only work when realllly close.

Had to do this myself after getting stuck at work when the key fob battery died.

Recommend getting a new pack of Duracell CR2025's off Amazon, they're generally really good. Always had issues with other brands arriving already dead or just die within a few days.

• Like 1