Bonelorry's Honda CBR1000RR Fireblade

bonelorry

Its here!

Every now and again days go just how you want them to, Worked early this morning and halfway through my shift got the call to say the Bike was ready for delivery.

I had been home 20 Mins and the Van pulled up outside :cool:

Just want to say that Jordan Bikes who I have been dealing with now for a number of Years have really gone above and beyond, In addition to the Major Service they have done on the Bike and removing the Alarm they have also fitted a Brand New Chain & Sprockets free of charge as their Technician said there was a couple of tight links and they wanted it right for me so replaced the lot. Superb!

As always, The bike was put straight onto the Ramp in the Garage and the deep cleaning commenced. Spent around 5 Hours this Afternoon on the Bike and its not yet finished.

Not found anything unexpected on the Bike, It does have the odd age related mark but its 15 Years old so this is no surprise. It is already looking much better after a bit of TLC.

So far I have...

: Removed the Lower Fairings ready for deep cleaning tomorrow.
: Removed the Rear Hugger & Chain Guard, All Degreased, Cleaned and refitted.
: Rear Swingarm area all Degreased.
: Front Engine Area & Exhaust Cleaned, ACF-50 Applied.
: LHS Rear Set removed, Full degreased, New Genuine Footpeg fitted as old item was damaged slightly.
: Replaced RHS R&G Frame Bobbin, It was slightly scuffed from the previous owner getting the Bike down the side of his house. Did its job and protected the Fairing.
: Fitted some R&G Paddock Stand Bobbins, Found these in my toolbox.
: Replaced x 5 of the M6 Fairing Panel Push Clips.

Its coming on, Will be doing some more on the bike over the coming days.

Some pics of todays efforts...

51177589699_73258d8af6_c.jpg 

51176800371_0df6788c35_c.jpg

51177891535_b56aff6aec_c.jpg 

51176121962_3ff9c544c5_c.jpg

51177891675_92e2c03c3d_c.jpg

51177891485_a2c9814475_c.jpg

51177589784_b32a54bffd_c.jpg

51177589684_7ec57d9636_c.jpg

51176121622_a454f5cbde_c.jpg

Edited by bonelorry
  • Like 4

Did a bit more on the Fireblade yesterday Afternoon after work, Went through the rest of the Bike...

: Removed RHS Rearset & Pillion Footpegs, Stripped, Fully Degreased and re-assembled.
: Replaced the Front Brake Pads as they where around 60% Worn, Rear Brake Pads are like New and are Sinters. Went for some EBC HH Sinters which I won on ebay. They where bought in error by someone and I paid 50% of what they normally sell for. Happy days.
: Brake Calipers & Pins degreased, Cleaned, Pistons pushed back by hand. 
: Lower Fairings Degreased, Cleaned and Hand Polished.
: Re-Aligned the Exhaust, It was slightly off centre as can be seen in my pictures earlier in this Thread. Cleaned the Carbon Fibre and Titanium Link Pipe.
: All Plastics/Fairings and Tank Hand Polished, Touched up a few Small Chips here and there.
: Noticed a Bolt Head Cover/Cap was missing just below the Seat, Popped onto Fowlers to look at the exploded view of the Parts and found a Genuine Honda item for £2.80.

Couple of pictures...

51181162899_b8f2039e57_c.jpg 

51181145164_3e2e680785_c.jpg

51179668567_bebbd9e014_c.jpg

51180350631_421d86997e_c.jpg

51181144784_5abc9a8e59_c.jpg

51179668342_66d5eaeaeb_c.jpg

51180574313_8f0999b3ae_c.jpg

51179668277_a4a71a673c_c.jpg

51179668507_b7daa516a2_c.jpg

Missing Cap/Cover...

51179668247_706352e07e_c.jpg

51180350621_5c042c2e3c_c.jpg

• Like 3

• 2 weeks later...

Managed to finally put my leg over the Bike and got out last Week for the first ride!

It had been Sunny and the Roads had dried out the Day before but I knew I wouldn't get out for too long as more heavy Rain was forecast at Lunchtime, I literally got back into the Garage and 10 Mins later the first clap of Thunder was heard! 

First calling point was my nearest Shell Petrol Station to fill up with some V-Power, Took it steady and kept the ride urban for the first 10-15 Miles as I was mindful of the New Front Brake Pads I had fitted needed bedding in a bit and they don't exactly inspire confidence during this period.

Also I have never ridden one of these so the entire Bike feels very different from the last couple I have owned, It has quite an aggressive seating position with high foot pegs and low bars...Typically Superbike. Low Speed they can be quite clumber some and hard work but they are not really built for 30MPH riding :biggrin:

First thing I noticed within Minutes of riding was how light and agile the Bike felt, Literally tips itself into a corner and is as stable as you like. Also as its a bit more old school the Throttle actually has a Cable instead of the Fly-by-Wire that my BMW had so you feel instantly more connected to Throttle inputs and the Engine responds with every small input you ask for.

Once I was a bit more settled on the Bike after around 30 Mins of riding I headed out to a few decent twisty riding roads which I know pretty well and picked up a bit of pace, Think I was in 3rd Gear and gave it the beans for the first time to pass a couple of Cars and I was impressed with just how tractable the Motor was even at low RPM. Sounds superb too with the Akrapovic Exhaust.

It doesn't have that explosive instant hit that the BMW S1000R had but the thing with older Bikes from this era is that they are very turbine like in the Power Delivery and the Gearing is considerably higher on the Fireblade so 3rd Gear on this is equivalent to 4th Gear on the BMW.

I don't want to make out like the Fireblade is a slouch, Its far from it! I will admit coming from the Modified Hayabusa in 2020 and then a virtually brand new state of the art BMW S1000R Sport earlier this Year I didn't expect too much from a 15 Year old Fireblade but I was silly to think that because in reality it is still a 180MPH machine that will do a 10 Second 1/4 Mile and hit 100MPH in 5 Seconds from a standstill. I should no better as I had a 1999 Fireblade a couple of Years back which was a superb machine even today.

You quickly realise though that there's no ABS, No Rider Aids, No Electronics to get you out of the **** and you are going get out of this Bike what you put into it. This all adds to the experience though and I think it will take a few more rides to get to know it better before I can get the best out of it.

Am I glad I bought One, Yes absolutely! Its a Bike I have always loved the look of and promised myself I would own one if the right example came up.

I would still like to get a second Bike though so I have a bit of choice and it will keep the Mileage down on the Fireblade too but nothing has come up as yet. I will keep you all posted though.

• Like 2

Another small but satisfying job done on the Fireblade this Morning, Something which bugged me from the day I purchased the Bike was the Front Casing on the Instrument Cluster.

At some point in the Bikes lifetime I can only presume a Fluid of some sort has been spilled onto the Clear Acrylic Part which you view the Speedo/Rev Counter through and unfortunately it has left behind some marks which would not polish out.

I noticed it when I purchased the Bike but as I got some money off the asking price and the fact that the rest of the Bike was in superb condition for its age I didn't worry about it too much and put it on the list of To-Do's.

A quick glance on Fowlers Parts Website shows a full schematic breakdown of my Bike in Parts with the associated Part Numbers and availability for each item (Right down to every Nut & Bolt) I saw that the Instrument Cluster came in multiple parts but that the Front Piece was detachable and could be purchased on its own.

The price for this part was £150 though which is a bit steep, Decided to stick the part number into Ebay and a couple came up in the States and also quite a few Chinese non Genuine offerings but I didn't like the idea of that.

Anyway I kept looking and on Saturday and Brand New Genuine Honda item came up for £60 in the Box, I didn't mess about and bought it straight away.

A quick search on the Fireblade owners group showed a guide on how to remove the Speedo from my Model of Bike which someone had done to replace some of the Bulbs within the Cluster, This guide to be honest looked very long winded and involved removing the Fairings, Front Nose Cone and took about 2 Hours.

Anyway the Part arrived this Morning so I had a look at what was involved, I quickly realised I didn't need to remove any of the fairings at all! 

Unbolted the Mirrors, Removed the 6 x Screws that secure the Front Windscreen and then with the Steering on Full Lock and there are 2 x Securing Bolts that go through the Frame to hold the Mounting Bracket that the Speedo sits on. Undo these Bolts, Remove the Wiring Harness multiplug from the back of the Cluster and the entire Bracket with the Cluster can be removed in One piece. Then I simply removed the Cluster from the Bracket off the Bike and Split the Speedo to fit the New Front Piece.

45 Mins in total and job done :thumbup:

Original Casing, Marks can be seen...

51199735061_cd46e4186c_c.jpg

Cluster removed from Bike, New Genuine Honda Casing...

51200800985_fcf98dc6fc_c.jpg

New Front Cover fitted, Old item below...

51199945643_1d9bd72953_c.jpg 

Back on the Bike, All working as it should...

51200800880_a081efe95e_c.jpg

• Like 3

• 3 months later...

Bit of an update on this Thread,

I sold the Fireblade this Morning, Been using it regularly and done around 800 Miles on it since May but made the decision to sell it now rather than store it over Winter and then have to MOT, Service it and fit a Pair of New Tyres to sell it next Year.

Anyway I put it on ebay on Monday Morning and it went Mental, I had a best offer sent which I accepted and the chap came this Morning and was blown away with it. No haggling and just took it away :)

On the look out for a cheap Honda Hornet or Yamaha 600 Fazer to keep my Insurance going and to have a Bike that I am not too anal about to use over Winter if we get some reasonable Weather.

• Like 1

Bought a 10000 Mile, 2002 Honda Hornet 600 which I collected yesterday.

Needs a bit of cosmetic TLC but will keep me busy in any spare time I have, I probably wont be making a thread on it though.

Edited by bonelorry
  • Like 1