usb stick for music

barbus

Try using MP3Tag to add the metadata to the tracks (you can do it in bulk and add an album cover too if you like).  I think the Amudsen uses the metadata to display the track info as explained in my rambling post above :-) 

Cheers vegit8.  I thought it'd be something like that.

(On a separate but related note, I've never been in the habit of copying every CD I come across.  For instance, me and a pal both have originals of over 90 Zappa CDs in our collections.)

16 hours ago, FlyingGecko said:

On a separate but related note, I've never been in the habit of copying every CD I come across.  For instance, me and a pal both have originals of over 90 Zappa CDs in our collections.

And rightly so...

1 minute ago, FlyingGecko said:

Speaking as a fan, or from your stepson's income angle? (Or both.)

Hah... I started writing a longer piece about how session and touring session players get paid and then opted for the ‘one liner’ reply.

But as you raised the point... here goes.

Those of you old enough to remember may or may not know that the bass line on Lou Reeds classic ‘walk on the wild side’ was written and played by Herbie Flowers.

He is a long term family friend and Jacks god father. 

Herbie got paid £34 for that performance (which was actually double the session fee because he played a double bass and an electric bass which was overdubbed). He got no royalties or residual payments.

Lou Reed on the other hand still gets a small payment each time it gets played.

Herbie is now in his 80’s and despite playing on over 500 top 100 hits, lives a very simple life.

Jack who started performing live at the age of 14, has toured the world for the last 10 years or so with James Bay and James Arthur as well as others.

No matter how big a star the artist is the going rate is £250 (less tax and insurance) a day (when you are performing), on non playing days you get a ‘per diem ’ ’ which may be £40 (before tax and insurance) or so. This has to pay for food, laundry expenses, cabs etc.

You do not get paid for time taken to ‘learn the songs’ and rarely for rehearsal days.

Whilst a performance may be 90 minutes or so, the actual time you are tied up may be as much as 20 hours or more per day. You cannot go home between shows, more often than not you are stuck in a tour bus with 10 or 12 others in very close confinement.

The musician is expected to provide his own instruments (including spares in case of failures). Then at the end of the tour you may find your equipment (and your ability to earn an income) stuck in a shipping container on its way back from America. It being too costly for the label to fly it back for you.

These days it is the record label who control the finances (and the’ artist’). Record labels are just a small part of an even bigger conglomerate.

The artist gets an advance from the label based on potential earnings from (albeit small) physical sales, and income from touring. Playing the biggest venues (stadium gigs) means big money for the label.

Thankfully Jack ceased touring and doing live performances at the end of 2019, just before Covid killed any opportunity to earn money.

He now works in a recording studio as an engineer and also gets to play and contribute to the writing process.

This studio has some big named acts on its books such as James Arthur, Bastille, Rag n Bone Man, The Wombats, James Blunt and so on.

As mentioned previously his contributions are now electronically embedded in the end product and there will be a small but ongoing revenue stream for his efforts.

As consumers of music I think it is our duty to reward those who entertain us day in day out. 

If any of you are sufficiently interested in this aspect of the music industry, Jack did a podcast a few years ago where he talks openly and frankly about the perils of being a touring musician...

Podcast link

I know from personal experience that the road to being at at top of your game in the music industry is a long and hard one.

Cheers

• Love it! 2

19 hours ago, FlyingGecko said:

Cheers vegit8.  I thought it'd be something like that.

(On a separate but related note, I've never been in the habit of copying every CD I come across.  For instance, me and a pal both have originals of over 90 Zappa CDs in our collections.)

I didn't know Frank  had recorded so many albums I'm missin load then😂

Thanks vegit8, I'll pick up Jack's podcast later.  Your post deserves a wider audience. 

Admittedly though I'm speaking as an industry outsider, I've been aware for years of the difficulties experienced by the men (and women) working unseen or unnamed to support the "headline acts" and barely making a decent living, regardless of their own talents as musicians.  I've also been aware for many years of the iniquities within the industry - all too often it's the artists actually making the music who are at the end of the queue when the money's being discussed.  Sorry, I know you know that.

(Although Covid has had its own effects unnoticed by the general public, as witnessed by Nadine Shah's problems reported in the press because of the inability to peform - and there'll be thousands like her.  I personally know a former music teacher and like many he also worked independently, he's sung with the Spooky Men's Chorale on their UK tours as well as being a multi-instrumentalist.  He left teaching to be a full time musician some five years back and of course Covid brought that to a full stop.  I don't play or sing, but there are few things in life as good as watching and hearing people perform live.)

I remember Herbie Flowers from whe he formed Sky with John Williams.  Their first LP was part of my collection when I sold it all a couple of years ago.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, pragmatix said:

I didn't know Frank  had recorded so many albums I'm missin load then😂

Oh, yes, pragmatix.  Over 110, around half since he died.  Mind you, some are much, much better than others.  And with respect to vegit8, I've never bought a bootleg, neither Zappa's nor anyone else.

• Like 2

4 hours ago, FlyingGecko said:

I remember Herbie Flowers from whe he formed Sky with John Williams.

My wife (Jacks mum) sang on Grandad - the single that Herbie wrote as the result of a challenge to pen a number 1 hit.

He doesn't like to be reminded of the fact...

3 hours ago, vegit8 said:

My wife (Jacks mum) sang on Grandad - the single that Herbie wrote as the result of a challenge to pen a number 1 hit.

He doesn't like to be reminded of the fact...

What,  Jack about his mum's singing, or Herbie writing it?  If the latter, he's only got himself to blame!  

5 minutes ago, FlyingGecko said:

What,  Jack about his mum's singing, or Herbie writing it?  If the latter, he's only got himself to blame!  

Herbie...

22 hours ago, FlyingGecko said:

Oh, yes, pragmatix.  Over 110, around half since he died.  Mind you, some are much, much better than others.  And with respect to vegit8, I've never bought a bootleg, neither Zappa's nor anyone else.

I've not bought one for years and most of mine are on vinyl.

Hi all,

I am getting ''unknown'' folders because one of the tracks on one of the albums has a bonus track on it. this bonus track does NOT exist on the original issued cd album so I reckon that the columbus has checked the  internet database could not find the bonus track and hence has allocated the track to it's own folder, duplicating the track which is on the usb album, it may have duplicated the bonus track again on another folder but I'm not sure as yet, when I can find time to investigate further I'll have more of an Idea, bear with me. Don't know why the columbus does this, It's more of a pain than being any use!

I scoured the internet to try and find out what the symbols mean when playing tracks off albums, these don't exist in my Karoq owners manual or I've missed them,

I found via the Superb owners manual, all as to what these symbols actually perform in the Columbus system, see the link below. It's useful info to know If anyone else does not know what they mean. It's page 149 you want.

https://www.manualslib.com/manual/1337806/Skoda-Superb.html?page=14

• 11 months later...