Alcantara Factory Accessory - Opinions

Hi,

Just wondered what people’s opinions are on fitting alcantara steering wheel in full leather interior superb mk3. Anyone got one or any pictures?

I have searched pictures online but can’t find anything that shows wide enough view. This one is a bargain I think, https://www.theskodashop.co.uk/products/skoda-three-spoke-sports-steering-wheel-alcantara-manual?_pos=3&_sid=eb3e5835c&_ss=r

My currently wheel is worn and quite ugly so looking for decent price replacement. Replacement leather wheel from factory is quoted at £600 with no buttons etc.

Any thoughts appreciated!

Cheers

Kris

Though I like the look of the alcantara, I don’t think they very practical. Greasy hands from hand sanitiser etc and other small amounts of dirt will mark it. A friend has one on an Aston and has resorted to wearing driving gloves to stop it marking any further!

The one in the link is quite a bargain……if you are going to change it anyway.

Hi,

Thank you for the info, I was a little concerned about wear but thought may be less likely to go shiny like smooth leather can do.

The parts team at that garage said those wheels are just priced differently because it’s an accessory, he said the buttons alone are £170 so it’s crazy cheap really.

I have since been reading topics about buying a wheel with paddles on so considering that now also!! Seen a few from Germany on eBay.

Replacement leather wheel from factory is £600 with no buttons??? 🤯

I say stick with the leather steering wheel though obviously shop around. Some marks in the leather can be repaired with light sanding, heat and oil, probably easier than Alcantara. I've seen a Czech car parts website that list the 3 spoke leather steering wheel with buttons and DSG paddles new for under 200 euros.

You can have a leather wheel reupholstered in a finish of your choice. Alcantara or suede wears flat quite quickly and looks terrible. You can clean it and brush it, but its a PITA. 

Ive an Alcantara Rim on my sim rig as well as having had them in several cars. 

The Rim on the sim lasted a few weeks before starting to go flat and need brushed. Its coming off soon to be rebound in perforated sport leather with a contrasting red stitch to match the base. 

Thanks again for responses, maybe the alcantara idea is not so good then 🙂 think I will look to get the leather multifunction with paddles.

Found one on eBay that have seen used in another topic and worked ok so may give this a go….

I guess if the paddles end up not working then no harm done.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Leather-Steering-Wheel-Mfl-S-Tronic-SKODA-OCTAVIA-SUPERB-shift-paddles-Steering-Wheel-3V0419091S-/362109836621?mkcid=16&mkevt=1&_trksid=p2349624.m46890.l49286&mkrid=707-127634-2357-0