Service schedule

Doombar

Hi, I have a 1.5dsg on order and am quite confused about service intervals. Does it come with variable servicing where the car tells you what it needs and you just wait for the alert to pop up? Or is it a fixed schedule? Or some sort of combination  of the two? 

At the time of ordering I said I wanted the £159 service plan listed on the UK web site and am wondering whether I should have bothered or not… (it says it covers the first 2 consecutive services limited to an oil service and an oil and inspection with pollen filter only). I am trying to understand when I might actually need those services…

Any input much appreciated

I believe all Skoda cars come from the factory set to variable service regime.

Some dealers set this to fixed services during PDI, without consulting the buyer if they are a high or low annual mileage driver.

If you have taken the service plan the dealer will undoubtedly set your car to fixed services so you get the first and second year services covered by the plan.

• Like 1

You should be able to choose either an annual service regime or the variable service regime. Your dealer may or may not be helpful in making a choice.

This used to be an easy decision based upon the petrol vs. diesel argument and/or the low annual miles vs. high annual miles argument.

With the improvement in modern lubrication, we can throw that into the argument.

Your £159 "plan" looks good for 2 services, but don't be fooled by Dealer Talk. They do the absolute minimum and call it A Service.  Its a quick oil and filter change that the apprentice rushes through before his/her tea break.  Half an hour's work for a handy spanner chimp.

But to your question - I've used both regimes.

My previous Kodiaq survived the 3 year deal, 30,000 miles with one Variable service in year 2.

A previous Octavia enjoyed an annual oil change service.  First 3 on a pre-paid plan (bargain at the time).

Current Kodiaq is is also on a Variable regime, but annual mileage is much less, presently only 6,000 annually. I expect to get away with 1 service.

I never accept any of the high cost, unnecessary options that the dealer offers.  They are robbers.

I can do a pollen filter if I ever decide it's needed.  Ditto for AC service.

Condition Based Servicing is you friend.

I bought (and have extended) the service contract on my Kodiaq, but don’t feel that “they rush through the minimum before tea break”,

My car is collected from my home (15 miles from the dealer) and brought back.  The driver, the unfailingly polite Paul, always reports what’s been done (as well as giving me the paperwork). The car is cleaned inside and out.

While the car is at the dealer’s, I receive an emailed video, showing the inspection of the underside of the car, and reporting on the individual tyre treads remaining.

The next service (at 4 years) is due soon and I’ve been told the spark plugs will also be changed (included in the contract).

I’m happy to have taken up the contract.

• Like 1

The Issue sadly with Service Plans or Variable Servicing if done at 2 years and 4 years if someones mileage is not that high is that the Servicing is not to Manufacturers Recommendations or Guidelines.  They hate the term Schedule.

That is because a FMDSH can be a History of not Serviced to the Manufacturers Guidelines.

If serviced at 2 and 4 years there is the Brake Fluid and Haldex missed at 3 years, so if you want that done be sure to have it.

The DSG will be due at 40,000 miles (Not at 4 years)   But if 40,000 happens to come around at 4 years good.

Spark plugs at 4 years / 40,000 miles was a thing when it was Minor & Major Service, or Major & Major, often that never happened as the Fixed price never guaranteed Plugs or Airfilter were changed. 

but Skoda changed that Recommendation when they went to Oil & Filter Inspection Services & Extended Scope each 3 years.

That is really about 'Fixed Servicing intervals, it is on cars 3-10 years old.

The first & 2nd year services on Fixed or the 1st Variable is more or less oil & Filter, look see, report and & Pollen Filter, if it doe get done.

37335614_Screenshot2021-09-14at07_38_18 (3).webp

Screenshot 2021-09-29 at 07.53.36.jpg

Screenshot 2021-09-29 at 07.53.17.jpg

Edited by e-Roottoot

Those lovely Glass frontages and signage has to be paid for and the free drinks and biscuits, fantastic sales and after sales servicing and then the knowledgeable 

parts and service desk staff require 'up-selling training'.    Telling people they need Fuel Treatment, AC Servicing, new discs and pads with a straight face takes practice.

It all has to cost someone and customers are the goose that lays the golden egg.

• Like 1

I'm glad this has been posted up!  I've just had a cheery message from our local "Main Stealer" telling me that our 4 years service is due.  This is true, the car's service indicator is indeed, telling me I have an oil service due soon.  However, the car has only done about 27,000 miles.  She's quoting an absolute bargain of a mere £409 (all-in) for the service and *only* another £289 for the DSG oil change...😁

Does anyone have any recommendations for a trusted independent in North West Cumbria, please?

And can anyone confirm whether DSG oil changes are purely on mileage or on time elapsed?

• Like 1

@Avocet

The DSG is a 40,000 miles Schedule, they do not use the word Schedule.   

it is not a 4 year old by Guidelines, Recommendations or Schedule.

I would get back in touch with them to check, 

That might be the price of the DSG Oil change and the Haldex Service. 

Have you had the Haldex Serviced?   Was it done at 3 years or 30,000 miles.   It used to be @ 4 years, 40,000 miles years back then it came down to 3 years and 30,000 miles or sooner.

Needs properly done, not just the oil changed.

There are threads on Briskoda about DQ381 servicing and the 80,000 miles.

Various info comes from Main Dealerships on that one. 

Screenshot 2021-10-02 at 12.25.14.png

Edited by e-Roottoot

23 minutes ago, e-Roottoot said:

@Avocet

The DSG is a 40,000 miles Schedule, they do not use the word Schedule.   

it is not a 4 year old by Guidelines, Recommendations or Schedule.

I would get back in touch with them to check, 

That might be the price of the DSG Oil change and the Haldex Service. 

Have you had the Haldex Serviced?   Was it done at 3 years or 30,000 miles.   It used to be @ 4 years, 40,000 miles years back then it came down to 3 years and 30,000 miles or sooner.

Needs properly done, not just the oil changed.

There are threads on Briskoda about DQ381 servicing and the 80,000 miles.

Various info comes from Main Dealerships on that one. 

Screenshot 2021-10-02 at 12.25.14.png

Thanks for that.  I do a bit of work with VW UK in my "day job" so I might check with them to be certain, but nothing I've seen online has suggested that the DSG oil is time-dependent, only mileage, and our mileage is certainly low.  I doubt it will have done 40,000 miles by this time NEXT year, even!

The Haldex oil was changed earlier this year.  We bought the car at 3 years old (supposedly fully-serviced) and then they sprang that one on us when it was in for some warranty work.  Whilst I specifically asked (and they assured me they checked) the strainer, I'm willing to bet that they never touched it!  Either way, the service record does show the Haldex oil change now having been done.

How can I find out which type of DSG box I have, please?  All I know for certain is that the car is a 2017 diesel 4x4 and that it is a 7 speed box, but I can't find anything that tells me whether it's the DQ200 0CW; the DQ381 0GC, the DQ500 0DL (etc)?  The papers that came with the car just call it an "RPN" or a "G1D" - which are presumably some other code?

6 hours ago, e-Roottoot said:

@Doombar

1.5 TSI's with front wheel drive & 7 speed twin dry clutch DQ200 DSG's do not require DSG Services. 

Really? How do you find out what the schedule is for specific models? Also what’s the impact of not using Skoda for a service - presumably they invalidate the warranty…?

16 minutes ago, Doombar said:

Also what’s the impact of not using Skoda for a service - presumably they invalidate the warranty…?

No. You can get your car serviced anywhere as long as the technicians are appropriately trained and use OEM or equivalent parts.

EDIT: the problem is that only Skoda garages can update the electronic service book / reset the service schedule. I took my old Octavia to a VW garage for its last service, and even they couldn't do it (fortunately the Skoda garage from the same group were willing to do it the day after when I realised...).

Edited by Yogi-Bear

There is no Servicing of a DQ200 DSG, no oil change or any other Service Actions.

(There are people that have changed the Oil and VW Group changed the Oil from Synthetic to Mineral from 2013/14 on in their World Wide Recall of millions and the Service Campaign in Europe.)   But then you will still be told they are filled for life, because the is no Maintenance Schedule.

Thanks @Kenny RThat was said before and i would think you are right..

Then there is the discussion to be had on are DQ380 on a 40,000 miles Oil change and DQ381 @ 80,000. 

http://briskoda.net/forums/topic/459193-gearbox-my2019

http://briskoda.net/forums/topic/466051-15-dsg-dq381

http://briskoda.net/forums/topic/477278-kodiaq-15-tsi-dsg

Edited by e-Roottoot